Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 4

Hello everyone

I'm doing a small test translation in MemoQ, and I discovered that MemoQ does a few weird things with apostrophes and quotes. For example, if I type a apostrophe plus a letter that doesn't take an accent directly after a space, MemoQ writes a comma (!). Yes, so if I type ' and then n, then MemoQ writes ,n instead of 'n or ’n or even ‘n. In mid-word (i.e. if the preceding character is not a space), MemoQ always writes a closing single quote when I try to type an apostrophe, e.g. if I type I and then ' and then m, MemoQ writes I‘m instead of I'm or I’m. How can I fix this? It gets weirder when I try to type double quotes. If I type " and then x and then ", MemoQ writes ,,x‘‘ instead of "x" or “x”. I'm using the US International keyboard in Windows.

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2018-12-04 20:47 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Autocorrect Dec 4

It sounds as if you have enabled smart quotes under AutoCorrect. Just switch them off. In some languages, for example German, the opening quote can look like a comma, for example:

„Guten Tag, Mann“
‚Guten Tag, Mann‘

Danish also traditionally used quotes like this, but the influence from English means that it's more common to see the following today:

”Goddag, mand”
’Goddag, mand’

https://support.memoq.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/362/12/autocorrect-lists-in-memoq

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Dec 4

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
It sounds as if you have enabled smart quotes under AutoCorrect.

Okay, I'll try it next time.

[Edited at 2018-12-04 21:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to type apostrophes and quotes in MemoQ

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search