Workflow for translating a large software help.
Thread poster: Bledea Georgescu Florentina

Bledea Georgescu Florentina
Romania
Local time: 11:46
Romanian to English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2018

Hello community,

I would really appreciate some advice on this. This is the first time I am working as a one man job with MemoQ and struggling to find the most efficient workflow.

I am currently working to translate a very large help (with wiki syntax) that needs constant adjustments for a very long period of time. The source texts are in .docx and I import them into MemoQ to translate them into only one other language.

I had this initial scenario (later found that it was more of a SF) in my mind but I encountered different limitations of the app:
import docs in bulk, translate, modify the source text, control terminology and select multiple docs to export both source and target in different docs.

The last part was the tricky one. There were the limitations.
You know that you cannot export source docs, you have to copy text to target and export them. But you have to do it individually not in bulk, because even if you create a view with all docs then copy text to target, in the end you cannot export them in separate .docs files (meaning 2 files: one modified source and one target for each initial source doc)
I also thought about working with bilingual documents because I can better control the translation process; but in this case I cannot split-join segments which i need in order to modify the source text. Also when it export in bilingual, although the initial .docx have no formatting whatsoever, MemoQ inserts vertical lines or paragraph marks where I have wiki syntax messing all of it.


Did anybody work with such a large project before? Or with wiki syntax? How did you manage it?


 

gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:46
English
+ ...
Some suggestions Dec 15, 2018

It sounds like you are modifying source in memoQ (f2). I would avoid doing that if at all possible. Those are one-time adjustments that don’t help in the furure.

Instead, modify the source document and re-import. Then pre- or X-translate. You can use either your TM or livedocs. It might be useful to save the earlier translations as bilingual, and use the bilingual in livedocs depending on the exact scenario.

You might need to adjust segmentation rules and re-import, in which case the above suggestion also applies.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

George


 

Bledea Georgescu Florentina
Romania
Local time: 11:46
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a good alternative for me Dec 17, 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

gfichter wrote:

It sounds like you are modifying source in memoQ (f2). I would avoid doing that if at all possible. Those are one-time adjustments that don’t help in the future.



Why do you suggest avoiding it? I can translate the doc while modifying it and export also the source by using copy text to target.

Instead, modify the source document and re-import. Then pre- or X-translate. You can use either your TM or livedocs. It might be useful to save the earlier translations as bilingual, and use the bilingual in livedocs depending on the exact scenario.

You might need to adjust segmentation rules and re-import, in which case the above suggestion also applies.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

George



First I cannot use the pretranslation as there are many cases when I have a term translated differently in various sections of the document, or in various documents. I am having trouble trusting this function as it is as I discovered that TM renders 101% or 100% multiple matches, for a term that has the same translation and the same source document, the only difference between the entries of the matches being the hour or the date of the entry. And the matches do not come from a reimported doc or a doc with a modified source. I am thinking that maybe it is a bug and I think I will report it.

Second, a memoQ staff advised me against using the bilingual option and I agree with him because there are all those problems I mentioned in my first post. Using live docs is really time consuming. I find it useful only for already translated docs that I want to enter in my TM from where you can export as bilingual and reimport in memoq for further processing.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workflow for translating a large software help.

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search