memoQ Server. Resolving conflicts when several people work on the same project (memoQ 9.5)
Thread poster: Olga Sushytska
Olga Sushytska
Olga Sushytska  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:29
Member (2019)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2020

Hi everyone! I’ve recently worked on a project via memoQ Server (my memoQ version is 9.5) for the first time and I’m hoping someone who’s had more experience with it will help me figure out a couple of things.

It turned out that the reviewer started proofreading my translations before I confirmed that the translation is completed. The client actually warned me that proofreading will start early, but somehow I didn’t think it meant THAT early.

Anyway, the import
... See more
Hi everyone! I’ve recently worked on a project via memoQ Server (my memoQ version is 9.5) for the first time and I’m hoping someone who’s had more experience with it will help me figure out a couple of things.

It turned out that the reviewer started proofreading my translations before I confirmed that the translation is completed. The client actually warned me that proofreading will start early, but somehow I didn’t think it meant THAT early.

Anyway, the important thing is when I synchronized the project before final delivery, I saw that half of my translations were already confirmed by Reviewer 2 and that there were some conflicts.
Now, when I wanted to keep my version and clicked the segment in the lower half of the Resolve Conflicts window, everything was fine:

resolve-conflicts

But when I wanted to keep the version that was on the server (e.g., Reviewer 2’s version), clicking the segment in the upper half of the window didn’t work. Pressing Ctrl+Enter in the Review Changes and Conflicts tab also didn’t work:

resolve-changes-and-conflicts

What seemed to do the trick is ticking the Dismiss box next to the conflict warning.
So, here comes my first question. Can anyone explain if this is the way it’s supposed to work? Why couldn’t I keep the version from the server by choosing the upper segment in the Resolve Conflicts window? Why didn’t Ctrl+Enter work? And shouldn’t Dismiss a change mean reject a change? How come by dismissing it I actually kept the Reviewer 2’s version?

I have a lot of other questions, so feel free to look at them and share your thoughts.
2. Do I need to do anything about all those blue arrow notifications (icon_changemark_changed_by_other)? Do I just ignore them? Or do I need to Dismiss them? (and again, wouldn’t that mean that I reject them?) Do I, perhaps, need to Clear all change marks from the document? And, anyway, what does this mean exactly? Simply clearing the marks or the changes as well? Why would I need to do it?

Also, why does description next to those arrows say “Segment has been changed by another user” if it hasn’t been changed but only approved by Reviewer 2?

3. Does it even matter how I resolve the conflicts? Shouldn’t Reviewer 2’s edits take precedence over the Translator’s? If I decide to keep my original translation of a segment instead of Reviewer 2’s version, is it really reflected in the final project or only in my local copy?

4. When the segments got approved by Reviewer 2 (double green tick marks appeared next to them), I couldn’t edit them anymore even though there was no lock mark. Is this normal, too?

5. Is there a way to avoid the situation when Reviewer 2 starts proofreading when I’m still not ready? In my case the document I worked on was divided into several batches. When Reviewer 2 saw that the first batch was 100% translated, they started proofreading. Do I simply turn off synchronization if I don’t want Reviewer 2 to see that a batch is 100% translated? What happens with auto-propagation in this case? If I commit my translations to TM with synchronization turned off, will auto-propagation still work? Or is synchronization needed for this? The client said that usually they try to keep translation and proofreading separate, so this shouldn't be a regular situation, but I'd like to be prepared.

6. Finally, is there a difference between project synchronization and document synchronization when there’s only one document in the project? Or does it only matter when there are several documents? What’s the use in synchronizing only one document and not the whole project?

I know that’s a lot of questions. But I would really appreciate some insight into how to go about… all of this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ Server. Resolving conflicts when several people work on the same project (memoQ 9.5)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »