Thread poster: Ivana Friis Wilson

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:15
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2008

I have been using Metatexis for a while now (my first CAT tool, I am a newbie) and I m very happy with it.

Recently a client asked to have the uncleaned files and TM for a translation. No problem, I thought. I had awful trouble! First of all, the unclean file was enourmous, I have to give up emailing it and ended up uploading it to yousendit (great service btw) so the client could fetch it himself. I realised that the file was so large bacuse of the TM - because when I wanted to extract the TM, it turns out that I have been using the same TM right from the beginning! I thought I had created a new TM with every new translation, but no, it has been saving in one TM only. I enver managed to extract the TM, but it did seem that it came with the unclean file, so my client got my one large TM in the bargainicon_wink.gif

Anyone know why that is? I have been reading through the manual and I can't work out what I am doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is that I am still using the trial version (for some reason it's still valid and I have just been too lazy to buy it..).

So basically I am asking for help setting up separate TMs for each project and also I would like to extract individual TMs from the one TM I have been using so far.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:15
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Ivana Jun 9, 2008

In case the client wants an uncleaned file along with the TM, I usually do what follows:

1) Translate the document using an appropriate TM (some of my TMs are quite large, several hundreds MB); please note that the TM may grow enormously if you use saving format in RTF

2) When the document is ready, I go to menu Metatexis > Document options > Translation memories, click 'Remove' to disconnect the document from my TM, click 'Create' to create a new empty TM for sending to the client, and click OK

Now your translated document is connected with an empty TM. To fill this TM, do the next step:

3) Go to menu Metatexis > Translation memory > save all translated segments in the main TM > OK

This way you receive a new TM which contains only the segments from the translated document.

HTH,
Natalia

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:15
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ever so much! Jun 10, 2008

I'll do that next time. Again, thanks a lot, your help is really appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with TM in Metatexis

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search