Thread poster: RosaT

RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2003

Dear all,

Here is a question for those of you freelancing in the UK.

I will be completing my first self-assessment in this country and I am not familiar with the amounts you usually have to pay for income tax.

My question is basically how much money (what percentage) of my earnings should I be keeping aside for income taxes?

I understand this varies and expenditure has to be taken into account, but a rough percentage figure would do, as I have heard different things (about 20%, 25%, etc)

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
Georgian to English
+ ...
rough % from a non expert Apr 5, 2003

I believe 25% is the very rough estimate that people tend to talk about, to include income tax and national insurance (which is really a tax). The income tax element would be less.

Tax and fiscal experts please correct me...

Looking since - I think there\'s a better answer to this than mine in \"Being Independent\" (in answer to the same question)!

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-04-06 13:21]

RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 7, 2003

Many thanks for your feedback.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK income tax

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search