Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2003

Dear all,

Here is a question for those of you freelancing in the UK.

I will be completing my first self-assessment in this country and I am not familiar with the amounts you usually have to pay for income tax.

My question is basically how much money (what percentage) of my earnings should I be keeping aside for income taxes?

I understand this varies and expenditure has to be taken into account, but a rough percentage figure would do, as I have heard different things (about 20%, 25%, etc)

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards.

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
rough % from a non expert Apr 5, 2003

I believe 25% is the very rough estimate that people tend to talk about, to include income tax and national insurance (which is really a tax). The income tax element would be less.

Tax and fiscal experts please correct me...

Looking since - I think there\'s a better answer to this than mine in \"Being Independent\" (in answer to the same question)!

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-04-06 13:21]

RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 7, 2003

Many thanks for your feedback.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK income tax

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search