Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"the lower your rate, the more chance you will have at getting the job(s)" - I take exception
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2008

Here is the latest:

**Please note that as your offered rates are less, as your opportunity to be involved in our potential jobs will increase. Rates should not be more than 0.05USD/source word.**

This was just posted by an agency looking for translators in several language pairs. I, for one, won't bother.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-24 11:54]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-24 15:16]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:34
English to French
+ ...
Rate fixing Mar 24, 2008

Right. The lower my rate, the more hours I will have the privilege of working. Freelancers may be looking to prospect, but that doesn't mean they are stupid.

Allowing such nonsense to be posted is like being an accomplice in rate fixing. No further comment...

Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just what I want to say Mar 24, 2008

I think it's insulting to translators........

[Edited at 2008-03-24 03:04]

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:34
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
It is not them Mar 24, 2008

Monday, March 24 2008 3:13 am EST

Quotes received: 61

In Germany we do have a saying "Because I can".
The low priced jobs would dissapear in no time, if nobody would accept them. As long as we, the translators do not get our act together, they will exist. Complaining about them is just wailling. I did not wail when an agency offered me EUR 800 to translate 80 words. Why did I accept this job - dead easy

Because I can

Siegfried

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your point Mar 24, 2008

patyjs wrote:
Here is the latest: ... This was just posted by an agency looking for translators in several language pairs. I, for one, won't bother.

And your point is? Are you saying something new or are you simply restarting the won't-work-for-peanuts thread that has since scrolled to the bottom of the Recent Postings list?

Here's a novel idea: why not try to say something new about all this? Try a different angle. Throw us a bone, so we can discuss it (instead of just growling about it).

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Peanuts for you, goldmine for others Mar 24, 2008

We had a similar discussion on the Arabic forum recently, but it's no use pointing to it as it was in Arabic. I just remembered it because the rate I mentioned as an example was just that: $0.05 per word.

My point is this: It's a competitive world and it's all about supply and demand. I can understand your frustration at the rising number of jobs offering such rates. I am just as frustrated as you. But I'm not as angry or outraged. Why?
For a translator in, say, Egypt (to talk about a country I know of), charging that rate ($0.05), doing just 1500 words a day, 20 days a month would guarantee a monthly income of 8,000 Egyptian pounds ($1,500). Mention that figure to any average Egyptian (or even a very well educated Egyptian working in a respectable institution) and their eyes will GLEAM. It is a VERY GOOD income.

So when I read things like "insulting rates", or "this is an outrage", all I can say is: get over it and hold on to the clients you have.

[Edited at 2008-03-24 09:48]

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free market economy Mar 24, 2008

I suspect that most of us live in countries with free market economies. In such economies, prices rise and fall based on "what the market will bear" as we say in English. Obviously, SOMEONE must be willing to work for peanuts or these silly offers wouldn't be so common.

If I walk into a store that wants to charge me $800 for a bar of soap I don't get offended; I just go someplace else and buy a much cheaper bar of soap. If someone offers me ridiculously little money to work, I just ignore it and get on with my life.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Can staff/moderators explain Mar 24, 2008

I'm puzzled. It doesn't take much, granted.

But why was the initial post - and specifically its heading - edited?

It initially read something along the lines of "Job posters should read forums" - did that contravene a rule of any kind?

Please explain, thanks
Debs

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not the rate that's offensive. Mar 24, 2008

Unfortunately, the title of this topic was changed to suggest that the rate was the problem. What I take exception to is the blatant statement that the lower your rate, the more chance you will have at getting the job(s). I don't even want to pay peanuts for someone to wash my car if they're not going to do a good job. What's the point? The attitude of this agency does nothing to further the industry. It's hard to imagine any other kind of "call for tender" that could say "Cheapest offer wins!"

The rate, as Nesrin points out, is entirely relative to your own living expenses, and many agencies here in Mexico pay much less. US$0.05 at 1,500 per day for 20 days would not have you living in the lap of luxury here, but you'd certainly have a living wage. And evenings and weekends free!

I'm not so naïve as to think that many (perhaps too many) agencies don't work on the same principle, but, IMHO, this goes a step beyond the usual "we are on a tight budget and can only afford to pay peanuts" line.

Sorry for growling, Samuel, grrrrrrrr.

As for the number of quotes, currently around 90, bear in mind that there are a total of 12 language pairs listed.

[Edited at 2008-03-24 15:00]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Feel free to edit your title - but please make it descriptive of the topic Mar 24, 2008

patyjs wrote:

Unfortunately, the title of this topic was changed to suggest that the rate was the problem.

Sorry - I edited this one.

As you know, we ask posters to write titles that summarize the content of a post. ("Job posters should read the forums!" would not help someone find this topic in future searches.) I edited based on the content that was available - not much was there.

I have edited the title again based on the additional information you provided. Echoing the email sent to you when the title was edited, please feel free to edit further as you see fit, as long as the title remains descriptive of the content.

Thanks.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Further explanation of editing of titles Mar 24, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

I'm puzzled. It doesn't take much, granted.

But why was the initial post - and specifically its heading - edited?

It initially read something along the lines of "Job posters should read forums" - did that contravene a rule of any kind?

Please explain, thanks
Debs

The rule is here: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/2#2 In addition, when you got to post a new topic, you see the following:

# Note: Your topic headline must state your question or main point.
# Do not use all caps. Avoid exclamation marks.
# Staff members may edit your heading.

Bad -> Good (examples of titles)

Dancing -> Resource: Dance glossary (ita)
Have a look... -> Times article on translation
Help!!! -> WORD error 32013: 'No features computed'

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Henry. Mar 24, 2008

I take your point about the original title...my apologies. Although I do think it would be a good idea for job posters to see a sampling (at least) of the many forum posts on the subject, if only to offer a little enlightenment on how a post might be received by the community at large. It might even tweak the conscience of one or two.

BTW, I am pretty sure I didn't receive an email about the editing.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:34
English to Spanish
well.. Mar 24, 2008

There's a [sarcasm mode on] brilliant [sarcasm mode off] tv show on MTV called "Next!".

For some reason, that outstanding show sprang to mind the second I read the quoted job post and specially the sentence that you refer to.

Greetings

[Edited at 2008-03-24 20:16]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes: Free market economy Mar 24, 2008

Steven Capsuto wrote:

I suspect that most of us live in countries with free market economies. In such economies, prices rise and fall based on "what the market will bear" as we say in English. Obviously, SOMEONE must be willing to work for peanuts or these silly offers wouldn't be so common.

If I walk into a store that wants to charge me $800 for a bar of soap I don't get offended; I just go someplace else and buy a much cheaper bar of soap. If someone offers me ridiculously little money to work, I just ignore it and get on with my life.

I have to agree with Steven here. That's free market. They are doing basically what you do when you go shopping: you just buy the product or services that give you the best quality for the price that you are ready to pay.

I don't think it is insulting but I personally find it sad that translation as a service can be bought so cheap.

Daniel

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Opposite is true Mar 25, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Allowing such nonsense to be posted is like being an accomplice in rate fixing. No further comment...

Exactly the oppoite is true. NOT allowing such jobs to be posted would be rate fixing.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"the lower your rate, the more chance you will have at getting the job(s)" - I take exception

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search