Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2008

I created this thread so that it may be of use to a broader audience. However, I specifically need a recommendation for a good collection agency in Spain.

Thanks

[Edited at 2008-03-28 14:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

RHuber  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good question Apr 2, 2008

Let me know if you find one....I have been waiting for nearly a year for payment for a series of jobs that I did for a Spanish client, and for the last four months have been completely ignored. It seems they are counting on the fact that since I live in another country I won't bother to take legal action. Methinks they are wrong....

Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
me too! Apr 3, 2008

...or at least the equivalent of the Better Business Bureau or some consumer ombudsman.

Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I found this information Apr 3, 2008

This might be a good place to start, if you haven't tried it already

"Every municipality in Spain has a public office dedicated to informing you, the consumer, regarding your rights and responsibilities in the case you should have any doubts. The offices are known as "OMIC", which stands for "Oficina Municipal de Información al Consumidor". Ask at the town hall to find out where yours is located.

Among the questions these offices deal with are those having to do with contracts, guarantees and transactions between shop owners and clients. It is best to bring all receipts and paperwork with you when you approach this office as the advisor assigned to you will usually be happy to go over everything with you. He or she will also need a paper trail in order to point you in the direction of justice should that be necessary.

Many, many complaints reaching these offices involved informal, verbal contracts. For this reason, experts advise always putting everything in writing. Each and every change to the original agreement should also be put in writing."

RHuber  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
not in the country Apr 17, 2008

Thanks for the info Lynda, I will write them. The problem is that I don't live in Spain so I can't exactly walk down to the municipal OMIC. I hope that these offices can help non-Spanish citizens. Everything is in writing, but only in emails, the proz way.

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:30
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another possibility May 22, 2008

RHuber wrote:

Thanks for the info Lynda, I will write them. The problem is that I don't live in Spain so I can't exactly walk down to the municipal OMIC. I hope that these offices can help non-Spanish citizens. Everything is in writing, but only in emails, the proz way.

You might try through OCU (Organización de consumidores y Usuarios):

http://www.atencionglobal.ocu.org/asesoria-juridica.asp?lge_id_c=E&prm_id_c=6795&cop_id_c=7110&&EntryPoint=index.html&IdCreativity=611&IdZone=9038&kwsearch=Ocu

Have never been in touch myself -the OMICs Lynda mention work quite well, and I have never needed to go beyond this one. But then, as you yourself point out, This is the town hall I live in, and you are, er a bit away...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for recommended collection agencies in Europe

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search