Thread poster: Banumathy Sridharan

Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:34
English to Tamil
+ ...
Mar 30, 2008

Dear All,

I recently completed a 6000-word job. Soon after I delivered the translation, the PM tells me that she needs me to send her my resume MINUS my contact details (including email). This is a client requirement and without this I will not be paid, she says. It all seems a bit strange..........why would the client ask to see my resume "after" I have done the job? Has anything like this happened to anyone before? Wondering how to deal with this........welcome your suggestions and advice.

Thanks,
Banumathy

Direct link Reply with quote

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:04
English to French
+ ...
either...or... Mar 31, 2008

It seems to me there are two possible explanations:

Either the client is pleased with the translation or he/she is not. In either case he /she would like to get in touch directly with you, but the agency refuses of course. Agencies are a hub by definition and do not envourgae' directo contact between clients ad translators. You might get an offer of diret work or you might get a thrashing! so the agencies protect themselves and protect you too.

However, the idea of payment being made dependant on your communicating your resume is completely unacceptable. I would say NO to the agency and if things get sour, tell them such practice will be exposed on the Blue Board. They do not have to dictate to you what you must do vis à vis a client: it is their job to deal with the client, not yours.

Amen

[Edited at 2008-03-31 07:28]

[Edited at 2008-03-31 07:29]

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:04
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A Funny PM Mar 31, 2008

Banumathy Sridharan wrote:
. . . the PM tells me that she needs me to send her my resume MINUS my contact details (including email).
Banumathy

What a funny PM she is.

Why didn't she just ask you to send her your complete resume? The nonpayment threat is not necessary altogether. She could just remove your contact details before sending it out to her client, couldn't she?

Best Regards

Hipyan

[Edited at 2008-03-31 07:39]

India
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the insight Mar 31, 2008

[quote]Claudette Hepburn wrote:

Either the client is pleased with the translation or he/she is not. In either case he /she would like to get in touch directly with you, but the agency refuses of course. Agencies are a hub by definition and do not envourgae' directo contact between clients ad translators. You might get an offer of diret work or you might get a thrashing! so the agencies protect themselves and protect you too.

Hi Claudette,

Didn't think of it from this angle!

Thanks for the advice.

Banumathy

India
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Signed resume Mar 31, 2008

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

. . . the PM tells me that she needs me to send her my resume MINUS my contact details (including email).
Banumathy

What a funny PM she is.

Why didn't she just ask you to send her your complete resume? The nonpayment threat is not necessary altogether. She could just remove your contact details before sending it out to her client, couldn't she?

Best Regards

Hipyan

[Edited at 2008-03-31 07:39]

Hi Hipyan,

Forgot to mention that she wanted me to send a signed, dated resume.

regards,
Banumathy

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
This kind of a thing had happend to me once with regard to book translation Mar 31, 2008

Hi! The agency had an NDA with me, but their customer was a publishing house and had the habit of publishing translator´s profile information. So the agency wanted to reserve Royalty rights and had asked to generate my profile without contact information. They were afraid that the customer might contact me directly and they might lose the business. But there could be many other inexplicable reasons. Brandis

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:04
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Maybe it's going to be evidence Mar 31, 2008

It is common when translated material is placed in evidence to have the translator's qualifications placed in evidence as well. I can understand not having your contact details on record. In some cases, an agency at which I used to work was asked to provide a resume without the translator's name either. Naturally, when this happened, we asked the translator to read his/her resume first. (In many cases, these people had undergone training after they sent us the resume we had on file. We made the decision to hire them before they had undergone this training. The additional training was gravy.)

If nothing else, this is an opportunity for you to update your resume. The PM probably has good reasons for asking you to do what she's asking. But you're perfectly within your rights to ask her what those reasons are.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One possibility Mar 31, 2008

Soon after I delivered the translation, the PM tells me that she needs me to send her my resume MINUS my contact details (including email). This is a client requirement and without this I will not be paid, she says.

The requirements for getting paid should have been stated before the job commenced. The PM can't change the rules after the work has been delivered.

However, it is likely that the client had requested to see the translator's résumé, and the PM doesn't want the client to poach the translator, so the PM requests a résumé from you without your contact details. Honestly, I don't smell a rat. The PM can do nothing untoward with your headless résumé.

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Valid reason Mar 31, 2008

My main job is as a medical writer (translator is a side issue) and as part of a CRO, we frequently have to provide the end clients (the pharmaceutical companies and occasionally the regulatory authorities) with the CVs of all the people involved in running and reporting a clinical trial.
We would often omit any overly personal or contact information from the CVs as the end clients are not interested in this, they simply have to have proof/testimony of the qualifications of the people involved in the work.
Whether or not the client specified the payment-related aspects in advance is another matter, but I just want to assure you there are sometimes valid reasons for requests such as this.

India
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, all! Apr 1, 2008

Initially I was worried and wondering how to deal with this request........but, maybe it is a valid one, after all.

Thank you, all, for taking the time to write.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resume WITHOUT contact details?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search