Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
Local time: 14:00
English to French
Jan 9, 2002

Dear Translators,

I need your help....please.

I\'m registred with 2 Translations Agency so far.

The one I\'m already working with, asked me not to charge VAT, which I guess it\'s because they charge it to the Client direct..

But the another one( that I haven\'t worked with yet.. is asking me if I do charge VAT...Are we suppose to do it??

Can you please, advice me, as I want to do it right.....
See more
Dear Translators,

I need your help....please.

I\'m registred with 2 Translations Agency so far.

The one I\'m already working with, asked me not to charge VAT, which I guess it\'s because they charge it to the Client direct..

But the another one( that I haven\'t worked with yet.. is asking me if I do charge VAT...Are we suppose to do it??

Can you please, advice me, as I want to do it right..

The other thing is about rate..what is the average rate per word..??

Many thanks to you all!!

Virginie
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:00
German to English
+ ...
VAT Jan 9, 2002

Hi Virginie,

In the UK, this is how it works.

If your turnover is 50,000 GBP or more, you must be registered for VAT. If it\'s below this (which is highly likely if you\'re just starting out!), you can register, but don\'t have to.

If you are registered for VAT, you have to charge VAT on all invoices issued to UK companies. You do not have the option of not charging VAT to some companies.

There are advantages to
... See more
Hi Virginie,

In the UK, this is how it works.

If your turnover is 50,000 GBP or more, you must be registered for VAT. If it\'s below this (which is highly likely if you\'re just starting out!), you can register, but don\'t have to.

If you are registered for VAT, you have to charge VAT on all invoices issued to UK companies. You do not have the option of not charging VAT to some companies.

There are advantages to being VAT-registered. Primarily, you save 17.5 % on all purchases (apart from books, etc.), but it\'s probably not worth it at this stage.

You cannot charge VAT unless you are registered. So you just need to tell the second company that you do not charge VAT.

Hope this helps

Mary
Collapse

Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
Local time: 14:00
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Mary!! Jan 16, 2002

Thanks Mary for your answer, it\'s good to know it..

Thanks and a Happy New Year to you

;-)

Virginie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions regarding rates, VAT

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »