https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/102116-new_paypal_credit_card_withdrawal_have_you_tried.html

New Paypal Credit Card Withdrawal - Have you tried?
Thread poster: mopc
mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 13, 2008

Hi!

I heard that Paypal now allows customers from Latin America and Asia to withdraw funds using their credit card:

http://www.thepaypalblog.com/weblog/2007/09/paypal-introduc.html

How does that work? Would the money be deposited in my bank account where my credit card is normally charged? How do I know my credit card accepts those pa
... See more
Hi!

I heard that Paypal now allows customers from Latin America and Asia to withdraw funds using their credit card:

http://www.thepaypalblog.com/weblog/2007/09/paypal-introduc.html

How does that work? Would the money be deposited in my bank account where my credit card is normally charged? How do I know my credit card accepts those payments? Paypal's website, for a change, and the blog entry are not very clear.

Has anyone here tried this system? Because otherwise, people like me, outside US/Europe/Japan can only withdraw their funds using another service such as xoom.com.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
Credit card or debit card? Apr 13, 2008

For credit cards they add the amount to your balance, and every purchase from then on is deducted from this (i.e., you don't get the money directly, but you can use it to pay for expenses).

I've no idea how it works for debit cards, but for 5 bucks I'd try to withdraw a small sum to see if they add it to your account or if it remains on your balance (there's no minimum, so why don't make a test with say 10 dollars first?). Plus, I imagine in Brazil they probably convert the amount t
... See more
For credit cards they add the amount to your balance, and every purchase from then on is deducted from this (i.e., you don't get the money directly, but you can use it to pay for expenses).

I've no idea how it works for debit cards, but for 5 bucks I'd try to withdraw a small sum to see if they add it to your account or if it remains on your balance (there's no minimum, so why don't make a test with say 10 dollars first?). Plus, I imagine in Brazil they probably convert the amount to Reias, so check the exchange rate too while you're at it.

Hope it helps (until a colleague from Brazil pops in)!

[Edited at 2008-04-13 07:38]
Collapse

ozan karakış
ozan karakış
Türkiye
Local time: 13:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
I have Apr 14, 2008

and it worked OK, they charged 10 USD for a 100 USD withdrawal.

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no doubt Apr 14, 2008

Thank you Rossana . I have already transferred 50 USD to my card, let's wait and see.

I have no doubt it works, but I wanna know if I have for example my electric bill to pay in my bank account, will I be able to use this money?

Where does it appear? In my credit card balance? So if I download USD1,000 from Paypal and my credit card bill is USD 300, they will charge my bank account nothing and keep the 700 in my balance or they will deposit that in my bank account?

ozan karakış
ozan karakış
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
it works... Apr 14, 2008

you demand paypal to pay x amount to your credit card.
the amount appears on your credit card balance as +
here in Turkey, I cannot use this amount to pay my monthly credit card bill, they just won't allow you.
Then, I asked my credit card bank to transfer that amount to my USD savings account (in the same bank), and money was transfer without a problem.
I have lost 10 USD for a 100 USD transaction.

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Apr 14, 2008

but do you have to have a US Dollar account or can they deposit it in a normal local currency account?

ozan karakış
ozan karakış
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
in Turkey Apr 15, 2008

you must have a USD account.

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Apr 15, 2008

I just called my bank's credit card department and they said I don't even have to have a USD account, as long as the money is transferred from within Brazil.

Do you think Paypal transfers count as local?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Paypal Credit Card Withdrawal - Have you tried?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »