Rant: Discounts
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
French to English
Apr 22, 2003

I know the economy is having a bad hangover, but when I see job offers that state \"we expect a discount given the high volume of text,\" and it\'s a (say) 10,000 word package with a 2-day deadline, well, I can hear my blood vessels constricting. As if the increased volume somehow lightened the load. I suppose the \'rush rate\' that rewards the extra panic factor and loss of sleep is a relic of the boom years. Phooey. Maybe I\'ll just give up and go to law school.
[addsig]

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:08
German to English
+ ...
Comes up again and again Apr 23, 2003

I think there was just an extensive thread somewhere about the pros and cons of discounts.

I don\'t give discounts, but what I have done when a customer doesn\'t want to accept a price increase was to offer the old rate for a certain type of (easier) text and the new rate for more difficult texts. Would that be an angle for you to try?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:08
English to German
+ ...
Here's the thread Apr 23, 2003

Quote:

I think there was just an extensive thread somewhere about the pros and cons of discounts.

Spot on - the thread was posted by Bill Greendyk in the Business Issues forum.

Best, Ralf

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Apr 23, 2003

..for steering me to that other thread. Very helpful.

Cidália Martins (X)
English
+ ...
Definitely not on a rush job May 20, 2003

Even if one were to offer a small discount based on volume (for the sake of cutomer relations, of course), common business practices usually dictate a surcharge on rush jobs. Wouldn\'t that cancel out the discount? Funny that they think to ask for a discount but fail to consider appropriate remuneration for the added stress of a last-minute job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rant: Discounts

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search