Thread poster: Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo
Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo
Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 12, 2008

I'm being offered a project management position full time (not in house) and the company is asking me salary expectations. I would to know salary range for a position of these characteristics. Thanks a lot

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where and how much experience? May 12, 2008

Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo wrote:

I'm being offered a project management position full time (not in house) and the company is asking me salary expectations. I would to know salary range for a position of these characteristics. Thanks a lot

Silly question: Where is the job based? In the USA? Where in the USA?

Will you be working as a freelancer (as you say "not in-house")? This will make a huge impact on your taxes, medical insurance, etc.

How many years of experience do you have?

In case it helps, I remember hearing of a PM working in LA (in-house) earning about 75K a year.

Daniel

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
German to English
+ ...
Are you an employee? May 12, 2008

Full-time, but not in-house? Is the company trying to say that you would be a contractor? I think the IRS would think otherwise. See www.irs.gov/govt/fslg/article/0,,id=110344,00.html

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:28
English to German
+ ...
I always suspected this.. May 13, 2008

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
...the IRS would think otherwise. See www.irs.gov/govt/fslg/article/0,,id=110344,00.html

In general, someone who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done.

So any outsourcer telling you to use Trados (for example) will be responsible for:
* Withholding Federal income tax,
* Withholding and paying the employer social security and Medicare tax,
* Paying Federal unemployment tax (FUTA)
* Issuing Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, annually,
* Reporting wages on Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return.

[Edited at 2008-05-13 06:08]

mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 12:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
In-house but not in-house May 13, 2008

Having worked as agency staff and freelance. The project managers in the U.S.A that I have worked with and know personally received from $28K to $50K per year. It depends on the agency, the location, experience. But I have heard of very experienced PMs receiving $70K per year, but that means at least 5 years experience as a PM.

Most PMs are at the location, look into the matter further. Hope this helps.

Ana Castorena
Ana Castorena  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to Spanish
Be careful before you accept the position May 13, 2008

Hello María José,

Please be sure of what they offer you and how they offer it to you, I had a very bad experience in a situation just like what you are mentioning, of course I cannot mention the name of the company in here, but I can only advise you to please have everything in writting. And just like mystymy says the range can be very big from 28K to 50K a year.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Management salary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »