https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/1048-do_not_bid_on_this_job_please_english_french_dutch_at_0025_euro_source_all_comments_appreciated.html

Do NOT bid on this job please (English-French/Dutch at 0.025 euro/source) - all comments appreciated
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 11, 2002

Here\'s another example of what we don\'t need in our lives as translators.

Traduzioni Online just posted a job of 15.920 words (English-French and English-Dutch) and offers \'400 Euros\' for this:

a hefty 0.025 euro per source word.

It wouldn\'t be a bad idea if we all refrained from replying here.

Other than that, maybe it\'s time to implement a function that would automatically delete such postings.

<
... See more
Here\'s another example of what we don\'t need in our lives as translators.

Traduzioni Online just posted a job of 15.920 words (English-French and English-Dutch) and offers \'400 Euros\' for this:

a hefty 0.025 euro per source word.

It wouldn\'t be a bad idea if we all refrained from replying here.

Other than that, maybe it\'s time to implement a function that would automatically delete such postings.

http://www.proz.com/job?id=17252

Posted by traduzioni online today at 10:23am.

English to Dutch- 15.920 words

English>Dutch, Manual

15.920 Words. Payment 400 Euros by bank transfer.

per. source word. Delivery within 28 January .

This project starts today!

Thanks

Please write to [email protected] , subject English Dutch NALCO .

Sample text (must be translated by bidders)

Refer to Figure 5, page 8, for the \"Terminal Connections\", showing the terminal strip location and configuration of the required electrical connections for the power, pump, flow switch and 4-20 mA connections.

To access the terminal strip, TURN OFF THE MAIN POWER TO THE INSTRUMENT, then remove the enclosure face (6 screws). Remove the enclosure face carefully as the keypad ribbon cable must be removed from the printed circuit board (PCB) to completely remove the enclosure face.

Bids received: 0

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-11 11:58 ]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Italian agency... Jan 11, 2002

= low rates, because the rates are much lower in Italy. Nevertheless, this is out of the world, even for the Italian market.

GG

Pere Ferrés Gurt
Pere Ferrés Gurt  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ridiculous!!! Jan 11, 2002

This jos posting has also appeared in the English-Spanish pair. I was about to post a new topic in the forum when I saw yours. My rates are not very high, since the Spanish market applies lower rates than the French, Dutch, German... ones, but I would not do it for less than 1,000 euros at the minimum.

I completely agree with you. I think everybody should refrain from bidding

English to Spanish - 15.920
... See more
This jos posting has also appeared in the English-Spanish pair. I was about to post a new topic in the forum when I saw yours. My rates are not very high, since the Spanish market applies lower rates than the French, Dutch, German... ones, but I would not do it for less than 1,000 euros at the minimum.

I completely agree with you. I think everybody should refrain from bidding

English to Spanish - 15.920 words

English>Spanish

English>Spanish, Manual

15.920 Words. Payment 400 Euros by bank transfer.

per. source word. Delivery within 28 January .

This project starts today!

Thanks

Please write to [email protected] , subject English Spanish NALCO .
Collapse

Pieter_H
Pieter_H  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to Dutch
+ ...
Let's not waste our time Jan 11, 2002

Even if Italian rates are lower, is not there a saying \"Do in Rome as the Romans do\", meaning that if Italians want to play a role internationally, thay should adapt their rates to those that are \"going\" for that particular market.

My suggestion: Expand the Agency Rating with an option for the rates they offer. If they do not offer reasonable rates, they will soon run out of translators AND turnover and will die a silent death.

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jan 11, 2002

It\'s in the EN>ES community too.

I totally agree, we should ignore it.

By the way, Pieter\'s suggestion on agency rates seems interesting.

Best regards,

Patricia
[addsig]

Linda Ferwerda
Linda Ferwerda  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Right! Jan 11, 2002

Indeed, this is ridiculous. My first reaction was to send them an e-mail, in which I asked them if they were crazy or what!

I really hope nobody is that desperate that they accept the job.
[addsig]

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
and De > Eng Jan 11, 2002

There is also a request for a De > Eng translation (posted twice) paying $0.05, delivery tomorrow. I\'m not sure that the low rate is an Italian problem; I work for an Italian agency on occassion (DE > Eng) and they pay rather well - not top notch - but not bottom rung either. Of course, such requests as those given as examples here are non-starters for a lot of us anyway, but I\'m convinced they\'ll find somebody.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What about the urgent job? Jan 11, 2002

There\'s a big list of complaints about this same agency in the Italian community. They posted a job today -- urgent deadline of 3 pm Italian time (it\'s now 3:03 by my clock). They wanted 1500 words done and were paying 100,000 lire -- less than 52 euro for the whole job. And it was urgent! The job was just posted late this morning.

You will all be happy to know that absolutely no one submitted a bid!

Catherine

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
I had a good laugh, though Jan 11, 2002

Some agencies\' sense of humour is really unequalled. I suppose those people jsut wanted to brighten up our Friday afternoon with a joke.

Let\'s thank them for that! ;oD

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 22:29
German to English
+ ...
Also ignore any postings by E-Word in Hungary - only 5 cents Jan 11, 2002

They posted several German-English jobs today (6,800 words, about 3,000 words, use of Trados required, ..) for only 5 cents a word (!!!!).

You\'d have to be crazy to work under these conditions.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
German to English
+ ...
Let's laugh them out of business Jan 11, 2002

As I mentioned on another thread (about the offer of EUR0.04 per word for \"lawyer translators\"), these are clearly people who have not checked out the market before going into business. Let\'s laugh them out of it - and educate newcomers to the profession about what acceptable rates are in their respective countries. (I\'m worried about the $0.05 posting, though, I see bids made for that much in the Ger.>Eng. community all the time...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do NOT bid on this job please (English-French/Dutch at 0.025 euro/source) - all comments appreciated

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »