Establishing Rates
Thread poster: Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 17, 2008

I would like some advice on the best way to set my rates. What happens is that my current rates for private clients appear to be too expensive for the reality of my country, and yet are cheap for the Proz market. As a result, clients contacted through a Brazilian site similar to Proz do not offer me jobs as I am too expensive, and in the case of bids through Proz people do not accept my bids as my rates are low (I guess they feel that low prices are a sign of poor quality).

Has anyone else had this problem in getting private clients? Would it be acceptable and ethical to quote one rate in Proz and another on the local site?

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:31
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Why display any rates at all? May 17, 2008

It is certainly normal practice to vary the rate charged to different clients, or different types of clients, or clients in different countries, for numerous reasons. Many people do this.

I would say that the best solution would be not to display your rates on either site, but to simply quote people a rate when they enquire.

However, having a different rate advertised on each of the two sites might not be a problem if the Brazilian site is not written in English. Two sites in two different languages would probably be viewed by different people.

Astrid

bertvandermoer
Local time: 11:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
different rates a problem? don't think so May 17, 2008

I write books on guitar building and set up in English and Dutch. The english version I sell in holland, UK , USA and a few other countries thru eBay and the like.
In Holland my price is euro 14.95 but that would in the USA become around usd 25.- at which price buyers pass me by. So I adjust it to usd 19,95 which is apparently psychologically acceptable and people buy. Likewise in the UK where the pount creates another threshold.
It is not unethical to my opinion, it is localisation of your market.
hope this helps?
Bert

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Comment May 18, 2008

Thanks to all who have answered so far.

Just one comment in reply to Astrid's comment - I do not actually advertise the rates (except on my Proz profile) but use them to submit bids. Also, the other site is in Portuguese, not in English, and is much simpler in scope than Proz, no forums or anything like that - their main activity is bids.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:31
English to French
+ ...
My rates are variable May 19, 2008

The rate I charge is not the same for a washing machine manual as for an MSDS or a patent, for obvious reasons.

It is best to set an absolute minimum rate and adjust that upward depending on the type of text and the type of document. When you quote, if you have enough information, quote a rate that is above your minimum and adjust as necessary.

If there isn't enough information on the document to be translated, I suggest you quote a slightly higher rate than what you think would be acceptable for you, and mention that this rate may be revised once you have seen the document to be translated. This allows you to give the client an idea of your rates without risking to quote too low.

Marta Guzman
Argentina
Local time: 06:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rate into foreign language? May 23, 2008

Hello, all. I have been working for an agency for a couple of years now, of course the pay is poor, but when it comes to a lot of work, that certainly makes a difference, and besides, they pay with no problem and in due time.
However, my question is as follows: I have been asked to translate a document from my mother tongue (Spanish) into English: should I charge it more?, or is the rate the same either way?
Your replies will be appreciated.
MartaGe

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
To Marta Ge May 25, 2008

MartaGe wrote:...my question is as follows...

I believe you should post your own topic for this, have you tried to do so?

I'm sure a lot of people will also have something to say about translating into a language that is not your 'mother tongue'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Establishing Rates

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search