Thread poster: Samy Direm
Samy Direm
France
Local time: 04:41
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 26, 2008

Hello,

I am a translator of Arabic. Someone has approached to me to do a transcription from Arabic which I have never done. Can some one tell me what the current rate is for transcription in the USA, Canada and Europe.

Thanks,
Samy

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:41
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Hourly rate May 26, 2008

Samy Direm wrote:
Can some one tell me what the current rate is for transcription in the USA, Canada and Europe.

How about just charging your usual hourly rate for services?

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per minute May 26, 2008

We charge per minute.

is it transcripion or transcription+translation?

Spanish speaker: 120-150 words per minute.

[Edited at 2008-05-26 18:43]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge according to your own rates May 26, 2008

How much would you make in an hour if you were translating instead of transcribing?

The idea is that you should earn approximately the same amount of money in a given time period whether you are translating and charging by the volume of text, or transcribing and charging by time. It doesn't make sense to price yourself cheaper by one method than the other. Thus, don't set your time rate based on what people charge in other countries, but on your own scale of rates.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be Careful May 26, 2008

Charge an hourly rate and even if your arm is twisted do not give a flat figure, say "however many hours it takes" and do not give in. Audio to be transcribed can be extremely variable, from slow and clear as a bell to extremly poor sound quality, background noise, low volume, people all talking at the same time, voices that are indistinguishable, etc.; in short, a nightmare.

There is certainly no way of knowing what you will get until you hear it, or how much time it will take until you actually do it. Moreover, you may need special equipment that can enhance sound quality, improve volume and that works with a foot pedal to start, stop and kick back the tape. Just to work with an ordinary tape player can be much more time consuming and difficult.

It may not turn out to be so hard, but be aware that it can also be a nightmare, so be careful.

I forgot to mention this, you should have good hearing. If you are like me (somewhat poor hearing) then such work is not for you.

[Editado a las 2008-05-26 20:41]

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Audio Quality May 26, 2008

We often receive audio files in Spanish and quality is not always acceptable.

one hour recording: more or less 6 or 7 hours transcribing (Spanish, only one speaker and good audio quality).

http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/

[Edited at 2008-05-26 20:53]

[Edited at 2008-05-26 20:54]

[Edited at 2008-05-26 20:55]

[Edited at 2008-05-27 03:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription rates?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search