Dear Outsourcers, (why outsourcers are asking for the 'best rate')
Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:47
English to Slovak
+ ...
May 27, 2008

Could you please explain to me, why you ask me to quote you my best rate when you contact me through ProZ.com?
My rates are public. I'm Taurus and I'm stubborn and I don't lower my rates. I live in London, which is not exactly cheap, and only work for outsourcers who are willing to pay my rates so I can stay here.
Please don't contact me hoping that I will quote you anything different from what you can see on my profile page.

Many thanks.
Rad

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-27 17:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dear Outsourcers 2, May 27, 2008

Thank you for your enquiry. My rates for SV-EN are X and for EN-SV Y. These rates apply to general text.

However, you have asked for my "best" rates and these are as follows:

SV-EN = 2X
EN-SV = 2Y

What I can't understand is why you would prefer to pay my "best" rates rather than my standard ones.

Yours sincerely,

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps... May 27, 2008

Rad Graban wrote:
Could you please explain to me, why you ask me to quote you my best rate when you contact me through ProZ.com? My rates are public.

Perhaps they think that since your rates are already low, you might not mind lowering them even more.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Must be it May 27, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Perhaps they think that since your rates are already low, you might not mind lowering them even more.

I will increase my rate when I start doing Afrikaans and when Slovakia joins Euro next January and I won't have to 'compete' with people working for three cents a word.

Stephanie Sirot  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:47
English to French
+ ...
cheap agencies usually ask for best rates May 27, 2008

Usually best rates mean low rates or free work. And usually people asking for best rates are cheap and not willing to pay decent rates.

I always ignore postings asking for "best rates".

Stephanie.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:47
English to French
+ ...
Two takes at attempting to answer your question May 27, 2008

Take 1:

The person who mailed you didn't read your profile because s/he sent that same message to every single translator in your language pair(s). And of course, business is so hectic they don't have time to read your profile to actually have an idea if you are the right person to work with. Money over quality, it seems...

Take 2:

They ask for your best rate because they think they deserve the best rate. Never mind that it would only be fair enough that the translator then also deserves the best clients (which just makes no sense since the best clients are usually those who don't mind paying what you're worth).

I am considering adding a filter to my Outlook settings so that any mail containing the string "best rate" is automatically discarded... I got one of those just today and I am just about fed up.

Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
Sometimes replies to "best rates" are ignored... May 28, 2008

I sometimes respond to these "best rate" enquiries (when they do give me some information like the agency they represent, the subject area etc.).

What baffles me is, after that they get back to me with job offers much below my "best rate" saying that that is all their 'client' could afford and would I be willing to lower my rate? With the promise of high-volume, continuous jobs, ofcourse.

regards,
Banumathy

[Edited at 2008-05-28 05:51]

casey
United States
Local time: 03:47
Japanese to English
Yeah, I love that one May 28, 2008

With the promise of high-volume, continuous jobs, ofcourse.

Yeah, I want to fill up my schedule with low-paying jobs so that I can do more work for less pay. I absolutely love that idea. It's like those offers where they say, "Since this job is xx pages (as many as possible in a month), we would like you to give us a discount." Oh, sure! I'd love to lower my income!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Best rate for me ??? May 28, 2008

I sometimes feel an awful temptation to send a tongue-in-cheek reply that XXX Danish Kroner per thousand words is my normal rate and some clients go above it.

So they are very welcome to pay me highest rate I have ever earned to date... Because that would be best for me

Here in Scandinavia we pay more in tax than I can earn on some of the rates I am offered. Then there is 25% VAT on everything in the shops from bread to luxury goods.

One agency regularly sends jobs I can bid for... with 'jump-start rates' suggested. I always add my own rate and a feasible deadline, and very rarely get the job. Another agency told me I was already getting more than most of their translators, but I haven't heard from them for several months either. I'm still in business, but I don't earn more than schoolteachers and secretaries.

So 'best for me' is the only kind of 'best rate' I'm interested in!

Allesklar  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:17
English to German
+ ...
You guys are just not trying hard enough May 30, 2008

I have found that working while sitting on the ground of a busy thoroughfare at a major subway station with the words "Hungry freelance translator, please give your best rate" written on the lid of my laptop and an old hat in front of me has enabled me to drastically slash my rates while doubling my income!

I also save a lot of money by not shaving any more and pinching electricity from a nearby power point.

I get now enough work to keep me busy for 20 hours a day and my clients are really happy and grateful, it is so rewarding and satisfying.

I am even thinking of expanding my business by training a monkey to crank a hand organ, the possibilities are limitless!

[Edited at 2008-05-30 01:54]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
discount comes at the end and not from the beginning... May 30, 2008

Banumathy Sridharan wrote:

I sometimes respond to these "best rate" enquiries (when they do give me some information like the agency they represent, the subject area etc.).

What baffles me is, after that they get back to me with job offers much below my "best rate" saying that that is all their 'client' could afford and would I be willing to lower my rate? With the promise of high-volume, continuous jobs, ofcourse.

regards,
Banumathy

[Edited at 2008-05-28 05:51]
Hi! Then you will have to see those large voluminous work, before considering discounts. In such occasions the discount always comes after a year or so. Brandis

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:47
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
best rates = we want the cheapest rate Jun 4, 2008

I think "best rates" is like an euphemism for "we want the lowest rate possible". And even if I give a minimum rate for those "best rate" askers, they either never appear back, or say "sorry, our budget is so tight and we can afford paying you only 1/3 of your "best rate".

Another solution - there can be a stupid answer to a stupid question - "What best rates can you offer?" In other words, "best rates askers" want you to open your cards first - if you say "my best rate is 10", they will say "sorry, we can offer you only 6", if you say "my best rate is 5", they will say "sorry, we can only offer 2". Let them open their own "cards" first

[Edited at 2008-06-04 18:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dear Outsourcers, (why outsourcers are asking for the 'best rate')

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search