Help! How to charge for transcription and translation?
Thread poster: lcmolinari

lcmolinari  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
French to English
+ ...
May 5, 2003

My question has a few parts.

First off, can someone give me an approximate range of how many hours it takes to simply transcribe 1 hour of audio tape? Let\'s assume the quality is good.

Second part is, what is a common practice for charging a job that requires transcription and translation? Do you charge an hourly rate for transcription, then charge your regular per word fee to translate the resulting transcript? Or is it more common practice to charge a higher hourly rate to do it all? In that case, any idea of a range of hours to transcribe AND translate 1 hour of tape? How about an hourly rate range to do that (for North America)?

I realize the possible range of hours can be huge based on audio quality, type of translation, etc. but there must be some sort of guideline, which I heard once many years ago and have forgotten.

I need to give a client a quote and a timeline, so I do need something to go on!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Cidália Martins
English
+ ...
transcriptionist usually charge per line or per page... May 20, 2003

...I can\'t comment on specific amounts but those who specialize in freelance transcription (medical transcriptionists, legal, business, etc.) usually charge per line and, in some cases, per page and rarely an hourly rate. I know this because I recently looked into taking up studies in medical transcription.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! How to charge for transcription and translation?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search