Special rules governing the estimate of a BOOK?
Thread poster: Nadia Said

Nadia Said
Local time: 05:35
German to Arabic
+ ...
May 5, 2003

Hello everybody!

I have a book of about 400 pages and need to make an estimate of this translation. This book contains 9 chapters and the subject is martial arts. When I used the word count option in one chapter, I found out that the charge of 1 chapter only will cost 2800.00 EURO @ 0.03EURO per source word, meaning that translating the whole book will cost nearly 20.000EURO!!!

My question is: Are there any special rules governing the estimate of a BOOK and its word count? And is the above mentioned amount realistic? What is the average amount of translating a book of 400 pages?

Your help is really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nadia Said

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
German to English
Rates for books May 6, 2003

Rates for book-length translations tend to be somewhat lower than those received for shorter documents, unless there is some urgent reason the book must be translated ASAP. I should tell you that .03 EUR/word for a book-length manuscript is not a high rate by American or Western European standards, especially if the translated book is to be sold commercially.

Kevin

Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
German to English
+ ...
What's the problem? May 6, 2003

Quote:

I found out that the charge of 1 chapter only will cost 2800.00 EURO @ 0.03EURO per source word, meaning that translating the whole book will cost nearly 20.000EURO!!!

Are you working for a living, or for pocket money? If you are working for a living, what\'s the problem?

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special rules governing the estimate of a BOOK?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search