Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Who should absorb international bank transfer charges?
Thread poster: Alba1
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I deliver the client's translation at his premises, the client should return the compliment! Jun 13, 2008

It is as simple as that. I make it clear right at the outset, the client has to pay all the charges. I give him 3 options in the descending order of preference, namely:
1. Western Union Money Transfer
2. MoneyGram
3. Bank transfer

In all the cases, the client has to bear all the transfer charges. After all, I deliver his work at his desk and it is only fair that he returns the compliment.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
Totally agree with Narasimhan Jun 13, 2008

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
In all the cases, the client has to bear all the transfer charges. After all, I deliver his work at his desk and it is only fair that he returns the compliment.

How would the client like it if I charged, on a pro rata basis, for the electricity and broadband connection I need in order to produce and deliver my service? I charge X for my service and expect to receive X, not X less any costs related to them completing their part of the contract.

From my payment terms:

"Any and all charges relating to the payment are payable by the client."

On invoices to clients in other EU countries, I add the following foot note:

"For payments within the EU, please select "EU Payment" when completing your bank's documentation. This should ensure you pay charges similar to those paid when making national bank transfers."

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:32
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
All possibilities make sense - just make sure you are in agreement. Jun 14, 2008

An argument can be made for all three possibilities.

1. Client pays all: You have contracted for a fixed sum and you should receive it. Whether it be by cheque, wire, western union of if he comes over in a pair of sneakers and hands you an envelope of cash, your client's operating expenses are not your concern.

2. Client pays his bank, you pay yours: Your bank account has been credited by the amount contracted with your client, therefore what your own banks wants from y
... See more
An argument can be made for all three possibilities.

1. Client pays all: You have contracted for a fixed sum and you should receive it. Whether it be by cheque, wire, western union of if he comes over in a pair of sneakers and hands you an envelope of cash, your client's operating expenses are not your concern.

2. Client pays his bank, you pay yours: Your bank account has been credited by the amount contracted with your client, therefore what your own banks wants from you for receiving it is between you and your bank and not the client's concern.

3. Translator pays all: (weaker argument, I think, but valid). It is the translator who is asking for a bank transfer and in choosing that method should be responsible for its costs.

Each way makes sense in its own way. Just make sure there is a meeting of the minds before you start the project.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Mr. Raghavan... Jun 14, 2008

Hi! Client is getting 100% delivery and why not pay the bank charges, so that the agreed value reaches me 100%. Then they want 45 - 60 days invoice clearance, again a small earning on my credit. I feel with a retainer upfront 20-30 days invoice clearance is tolerable. Brandis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The freelancer must pay it Jun 14, 2008

Alba1 wrote:
My question is, do agencies or freelancers normally bear these transfer fees?

The amount that you invoiced must be the amount that reaches your back account. If, however, your bank charges additional fees after the money had arrived, then those fees are paid by you.

Yours is a special case, however, because you're sending the invoice to a local office yet you get paid from overseas. By right you should be paid by the local office. That is, the overseas company should pay the local office and they should pay you. If they can't do it that way, and if the GBP 6.00 is a sizeable amount for you, you should tell the client about it and perhaps add that amount to the invoice next time.

Anita du Plessis
Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Payments to South africa Jun 15, 2008

I am so glad I discovered this forum. Maybe someone will be able to advise me what to do. As I am fairly new to Proz. , I am still finding my way. I accepted small jobs from the USA , but now find that the transfer costs are so high that I sometimes get less than half of my original amount out. I pay R105 for all foreign exchange (12.93$ or 8.4 euros)

I did register with moneybookers, but find that not all clients use them. I registered with paypal too , but found to my dismay that
... See more
I am so glad I discovered this forum. Maybe someone will be able to advise me what to do. As I am fairly new to Proz. , I am still finding my way. I accepted small jobs from the USA , but now find that the transfer costs are so high that I sometimes get less than half of my original amount out. I pay R105 for all foreign exchange (12.93$ or 8.4 euros)

I did register with moneybookers, but find that not all clients use them. I registered with paypal too , but found to my dismay that they banned payments to South Africa.

Should I try and charge a little bit more to make it more financially worthwhile, or simply refuse to do small consignments? This is something I would not like to do though, as I like working, especially in my speciality fields.

Any suggestions?

[Edited at 2008-06-15 17:16]
Collapse

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Open an offshore account Jun 15, 2008

anitadp wrote:

I did register with moneybookers, but find that not all clients use them. I registered with paypal too , but found to my dismay that they banned payments to South Africa.

Should I try and charge a little bit more to make it more financially worthwhile, or simply refuse to do small consignments? This is something I would not like to do though, as I like working, especially in my speciality fields.

Any suggestions?

[Edited at 2008-06-15 17:16]

I say forget your South African account. Open up an account in the US or some other country at a bank that takes foreign customers, such as Chase Manhattan (me I use Lloyds TSB on the Isle of Man for the sake of my British customers). You will need to send a copy of your passport and some other information (they will let you know). Have all your payments sent to this account. The bank will send you an ATM card so you can make withdrawals. This way, you will be able to receive PayPal payments and even be able to accept cheques.

I think that is the best way for you given the information you presented.

Anita du Plessis
Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thank you Paul Jun 16, 2008

Hi Paul

Thank you for your information. I will definitely look into this as a possibility.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who should absorb international bank transfer charges?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »