Any ideas how to charge a client for translation of Autocad files - plans etc.
Thread poster: Ekaterina Andreeva

Ekaterina Andreeva
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:48
Spanish to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2008

Would you please give me an idea how to charge a client for translation of Autocad files and how to calculatenumber of words?

Thanks to everyone who gives me a tip

Direct link Reply with quote

Alyona Douglas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
Member (2007)
English to Russian
hourly rate Jun 20, 2008

Katya, I would charge an hourly rate - I usually do it this way. It doesn't make any sense to charge per word, becuase translation of AutoCAD drawings can be VERY time-consuming (formatting problems, etc.).

Elena Novski  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:48
Russian to English
+ ...
An hourly rate for AutoCAD translations, Rus<>Eng? Jan 14, 2009

I will appreciate, dear RusEng colleagues, if anyone can suggest an average (min, max) hourly rate for AutoCAD translations. Thank you!

Vicente Victorica  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
AutoCAD translation rates Feb 3, 2009

Normally, I used to charge as much 3x the standard plain-text rate, since it is very time-consuming.

But now, there are some software tools out there to help you translate using your existing CAT tool (Trados, Wordfast, etc.)

This article in wikihow describes more about AutoCAD translation (shows both Manual and Automated options).

http://www.wikihow.com/Translate-an-Autocad-Drawing-Using-Translation-Memory-and-CAT

So it's possible to save translation time and pass some savings to your clients using this kind of technology, specially if the drawings are text-intensive.

Hope it helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any ideas how to charge a client for translation of Autocad files - plans etc.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search