https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/108554-paypal_account_under_review_please_provide_proof_of_id.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Paypal account under review: Please provide proof of ID
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 14:27
English to Greek
+ ...
Jun 23, 2008

Dear all,

Today I received my first important payment through Paypal and when I logged in my account, I found out that it is "under review". In order to restore its normal status, I have to provide with my photo ID and proof of address. Specifically, the e-mail they sent me said the following:

"PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations to collect information from customers when they receive more than the set limit in total
... See more
Dear all,

Today I received my first important payment through Paypal and when I logged in my account, I found out that it is "under review". In order to restore its normal status, I have to provide with my photo ID and proof of address. Specifically, the e-mail they sent me said the following:

"PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations to collect information from customers when they receive more than the set limit in total payments. Please log into your account, go to the Account Overview page, and follow the instructions there about how to provide the required information. These steps need to be completed as soon as possible to comply with this regulation."

Has this happened to any of you? Have you provided Paypal with the documentation in question? How would you advice me?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2008-06-23 19:45]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:27
French to English
Yes, happened to me Jun 23, 2008

Just a month ago, I got the same thing (on my personal paypal account that is used for e-bay and other online purchases - I don't use paypal for translation payments). I faxed everything in, and got a confirmation message.

Then, a few weeks went by and my account never got "cleared" so I sent an e-mail to customer service. Turns out I needed to fill in the "professional" data too, even though I wasn't using the account in a professional capacity.

The customer service
... See more
Just a month ago, I got the same thing (on my personal paypal account that is used for e-bay and other online purchases - I don't use paypal for translation payments). I faxed everything in, and got a confirmation message.

Then, a few weeks went by and my account never got "cleared" so I sent an e-mail to customer service. Turns out I needed to fill in the "professional" data too, even though I wasn't using the account in a professional capacity.

The customer service response was really good, if you have any questions, just write to them.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sceptical... Jun 23, 2008

Thank you, Lori,

I'm just a bit sceptical about providing personal data and professional data and bank account data to an online (or even offline...) company.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Just a warning Jun 23, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:
I'm just a bit sceptical about providing personal data and professional data and bank account data to an online (or even offline...) company.

PayPal itself advises you to do this:

1. NEVER consider any e-mail appearing to be from PayPal if it addresses you like "Dear User", "Dear Customer", or "Dear XXX" where "XXX"is the part of your e-mail address that precedes the "@". PayPal says they will always write you using your full name exactly as your registered it there.

2. NEVER click on anything, anywhere, on a message purporting to be from PayPal. Instead, log in to their site normally, and try to do whatever they asked you, if necessary.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Call them Jun 23, 2008

If you're unsure about something or need help, the best thing to do is call them. They have phone numbers listed on their site. I've called them a few times, and they've always been very helpful.

Amy

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 05:27
English to Spanish
It is usual Jun 23, 2008

If you logged in to https://www.paypal.com and they need a copy of your ID, and you expect to have them as your transfer agency, give them what they're asking for. I did it years ago, and am very satisfied with their service.

Really. But be sure to logging to https.

[Edited at 2008-06-23 21:34]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it happened to me, and it is genuine Jun 23, 2008

Hello Eleni,

Yes, it happened to me - a few years ago now. It is genuine, and they do need all those papers to comply with EU laws. You will need to send them everything they ask for, and, until you do, your account cannot be restored to its normal status. It is something which automatically happens once you have received over a certain amount of money through PayPal.

There are also previous discussions on the matter, which you may find if you do a forum search.
<
... See more
Hello Eleni,

Yes, it happened to me - a few years ago now. It is genuine, and they do need all those papers to comply with EU laws. You will need to send them everything they ask for, and, until you do, your account cannot be restored to its normal status. It is something which automatically happens once you have received over a certain amount of money through PayPal.

There are also previous discussions on the matter, which you may find if you do a forum search.

Astrid
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Happened to me, too Jun 23, 2008

I don't remember what exactly I sent them, but I think it was a scanned copy of a telephone invoice, with my name and address on it. But after that, it got irritating: I received an email from the support staff asking for a copy of my latest bank statements. I remember that I got infuriated and wrote back a really bad answer. What did they think they were, government tax authority? But I think it was just someone's personal stupidity. Because another staff member responded me with apologies and ... See more
I don't remember what exactly I sent them, but I think it was a scanned copy of a telephone invoice, with my name and address on it. But after that, it got irritating: I received an email from the support staff asking for a copy of my latest bank statements. I remember that I got infuriated and wrote back a really bad answer. What did they think they were, government tax authority? But I think it was just someone's personal stupidity. Because another staff member responded me with apologies and they released my account. In short: be wary of unjustified requests and it's also important to make sure that you are really at their secure site, with the URL beginning as https, as Tadzio stated. Apart from that, it is legit and routine that they ask for an identity/address verification.

Hope this helps.

Özden
Collapse

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 06:27
Greek to English
+ ...
Tax authorities Jun 23, 2008

Actually, word is out that soon enough, all these online payment services will have to report all transactions over some amount to Tax Authorities, probably through the underlying bank accounts. This way the governments will not only be aware of income from foreign countries, but they will also have a more clear picture of bank accounts, that they could not have in the past.
I'm not sure how they will do it and monitor it... (legally, it's complicated), but they will. Proof of ID could be
... See more
Actually, word is out that soon enough, all these online payment services will have to report all transactions over some amount to Tax Authorities, probably through the underlying bank accounts. This way the governments will not only be aware of income from foreign countries, but they will also have a more clear picture of bank accounts, that they could not have in the past.
I'm not sure how they will do it and monitor it... (legally, it's complicated), but they will. Proof of ID could be just the first step. Maybe next is SSN or state ID numbers...
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
And also... Jun 23, 2008

...on the website (the real paypal one) - if you go to their security center (sic), you can report a suspicious e-mail or a fake website. They will then analyse it.

This is for their benfit too, as it helps cut down on the sheer volume of fake stuff that people invent in the name of paypal.

If you are not sure where the e-mail (or website for that matter) came from, that is.

They will then tell you 'Yes, we
... See more
...on the website (the real paypal one) - if you go to their security center (sic), you can report a suspicious e-mail or a fake website. They will then analyse it.

This is for their benfit too, as it helps cut down on the sheer volume of fake stuff that people invent in the name of paypal.

If you are not sure where the e-mail (or website for that matter) came from, that is.

They will then tell you 'Yes, we genuinely sent this' or 'No! this is a fake'. As the case may be.

You can see some examples of how people send fake stuff here, but I am sure there are loads of sites like this.

http://www.auditmypc.com/pay-pal.asp

Cheers,

jpw.
Collapse

Gina Ferlisi
Gina Ferlisi
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Normal procedure Jun 24, 2008

It happened to me this week, its a normal procedure, if you have movements fo more than €1000, i sent back Passport and bill copy.now all is OK!!

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 24, 2008

I never has a doubt that the request was genuine, because I did log into my account and saw that its status isn't normal. I was just wondering if it is too many things they're asking for.

Thank you for all your answers and advice!

canaria
canaria
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I have had these e-mails too Jun 24, 2008

they inform me that they have received notification that I have forgotten my password and ask me to follow the links to their site where I can remedy the situation. However, I have never used paypal in my life let alone forgotten my password so this has to be a scam.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Eleni Makantani wrote:

PayPal itself advises you to do this:

1. NEVER consider any e-mail appearing to be from PayPal if it addresses you like "Dear User", "Dear Customer", or "Dear XXX" where "XXX"is the part of your e-mail address that precedes the "@". PayPal says they will always write you using your full name exactly as your registered it there.

2. NEVER click on anything, anywhere, on a message purporting to be from PayPal. Instead, log in to their site normally, and try to do whatever they asked you, if necessary.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Submit the 'scams' to Paypal... Jun 24, 2008

I have had these e-mails too

they inform me that they have received notification that I have forgotten my password and ask me to follow the links to their site where I can remedy the situation. However, I have never used paypal in my life let alone forgotten my password so this has to be a scam.

That certainly does sound like a scam, especiallly if you've never used P/P in your entire life: see my post above to find out how to know for sure.

Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
This link is a Trojan Jun 25, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

They will then tell you 'Yes, we genuinely sent this' or 'No! this is a fake'. As the case may be.

You can see some examples of how people send fake stuff here, but I am sure there are loads of sites like this.

http://www.auditmypc.com/pay-pal.asp

Cheers,

jpw.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to happen, but when I tried visiting this link my Kaspersky anti-virus played up saying that it had a Trojan on this site.
Is there another link or does anyone else get a Trojan warning for this site?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm just being blond again. That IS supposed to be a Trojan.
Ah well, I should just head to bed, its late *sigh*
Sorry for the accusations, hope you can forgive me.

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-06-25 01:14]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal account under review: Please provide proof of ID

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »