Charge per word, per document, per hour?
Thread poster: praviles
praviles
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 27, 2008

Hi,

Recently, I was contacted by a pretty important company here to start doing some document translation and spot checking for them.

We are not sure how to charge them. Per word, per document, per hour?

What are your thoughts, based on your experience?

One more thing, would anyone know where I could find standard translation rates in the US?

I'd appreciate your help greatly.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
how long is a wet week? Jun 27, 2008

praviles wrote:
... I was contacted by a pretty important company here to start doing some document translation and spot checking for them. We are not sure how to charge them. Per word, per document, per hour?
Thank you

Doesn't quite fit, if they are "pretty important", why are they contacting someone who is not "sure how to charge them".

Leaving that issue aside, there will be plenty of ProZers who will tell you that what to charge "per word, per document, per hour", BUT without some minimum background info this is impossible (how long is a wet week?).

[Edited at 2008-06-27 22:35]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spot checking Jun 27, 2008

I know what translation is, but what is "spot checking"?

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:15
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Spot checking - be careful Jun 27, 2008

What is spot checking?
Well, I was asked to do this once, and when I asked for explanation, I was told "oh, we have hired this new translator and even though he/she passed our test we just want to make sure his/her work is OK, so you would just casually check and correct the translation and give us your opinion"... They also said they would have a preset budget, let's say one hour or two for me to do this... So I would check and fix the big mistakes if any, but I would not need to do a thorough editing.
I refused it.
I told them I either edit something, or I don't. I don't feel comfortable working on a preset time, and then when the time is up, in the middle of the work, drop the pencil (well, the keyboard or the mouse) and leave the translation as is.
I felt that I would be inclined to do a thorough edit anyways, and end up not being paid for it, which would have been a stupid deal.

Stephanie Sirot  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:15
English to French
+ ...
For translation charge per word, for proofreading charge an hourly rate Jun 27, 2008

For translation you should charge per word. Your rate should depend on the subject, format and deadline.

For proofreading, it is more realistic to charge an hourly rate.

I can't tell you how much you should charge. This is totally up to you. If it is an individual client, you can pretty much charge what you want. If it is an agency, it might be slightly different though.

Stephanie.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 00:15
English to Spanish
According to... Jun 28, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

I know what translation is, but what is "spot checking"?

Babylon: "pick out random samples for examination in order to ensure high quality".

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Indeed Jun 28, 2008

Spot checking is not something that's thorough so it can't really be called proper proofreading or editing. You just pick out, say, pages 4, 8, and 12 of the document and check whether they've been done properly. It's kinda sorta proofreading/ editing on the cheap or if you're in a hurry...

It's also been suggested to me as a way of ensuring that translation quality is even throughout, such as if you were getting tired at page 12, when you were fresh and bubbly at page 4. So it's an additonal measure after having read through your work.

[Edited at 2008-06-28 15:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge per word, per document, per hour?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search