How to charge for translation of amendments?
Thread poster: Banumathy Sridharan
Banumathy Sridharan
Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:00
English to Tamil
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 9, 2008

Dear all,

I sometimes receive small jobs that require translation of amendments made to source texts which had been translated in the past by another translator. My client(s) now needs me to translate only the amended portions and place them in the appropriate places in the previous translation.

Very often the actual (amended) text to be translated is less than 100 or 200 words, while the previous translation could be a document of more than 5000 words. So it takes me m
... See more
Dear all,

I sometimes receive small jobs that require translation of amendments made to source texts which had been translated in the past by another translator. My client(s) now needs me to translate only the amended portions and place them in the appropriate places in the previous translation.

Very often the actual (amended) text to be translated is less than 100 or 200 words, while the previous translation could be a document of more than 5000 words. So it takes me more time to read through the entire (previous) translation in order to understand the context and keep my translation in line with it and to place the new translations in the appropriate place, than doing the actual translation.

In such cases, is it appropriate to charge for the time it takes to do a contextual reading? If yes, how do I charge for it?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Best regards,
Banumathy
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
Per time Jul 9, 2008

An international agency just paid me USD $ 30.oo per hour, but it was my own translation with post-amendments by client.

From here, you can do an estimate, then.

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 11:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge your hourly rate Jul 9, 2008

Hi, Banumathy:

You should charge by hour. It's because your are doing a very similar task than proofreading, you are looking over the entire document and making corrections, in fact, it takes time.

Regards,
Giovany

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:30
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
per unit (time, word, sentence) Jul 9, 2008

You may charge per hour (if you work from paper) or per word (gross, i.e. count whole sentences that you modify -- if you can compare the versions and extract the modified sentences). How?

(Stay with us and you will know... )

MS Word can compare versions (I always keep my jobs and have files from the 90-s -- me clients are sometimes shocked. After you do this, you will get the modified sentences highlight
... See more
You may charge per hour (if you work from paper) or per word (gross, i.e. count whole sentences that you modify -- if you can compare the versions and extract the modified sentences). How?

(Stay with us and you will know... )

MS Word can compare versions (I always keep my jobs and have files from the 90-s -- me clients are sometimes shocked. After you do this, you will get the modified sentences highlighted in yellow. Make a copy of the file and work with it. Do your job on one copy, remove the highlights, and save it. Then, use the other copy with the highlights (with the results of the comparison): do find-and-replace and set to look for the highlighted text and replace with nothing. You will get the modified sentences only. Then check the statistics for word count. It's easy.

[Редактировалось 2008-07-09 18:44]
Collapse

Banumathy Sridharan
Banumathy Sridharan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:00
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you! Jul 10, 2008

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Banumathy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for translation of amendments?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »