What is the going rate for Chinese to English translation?
Thread poster: hcord
hcord
Chinese to English
Jul 18, 2008

Hi all,

I am new to the translation world so I would really appreciate any help I can get!

Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what the current going rate is (per word in USD) for Chinese to English translation? The job is through an agency so I expect the rate to be a bit lower.

Also, I did a word count and came up with 87086 words whereas they quoted 72202 words which is vastly different. I assume it is caused by repetitions? What ( if any) should I be paid for repetitions?

Thanks in advanced for your help

Helen

Direct link Reply with quote

Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It depends Jul 18, 2008

Hi Helen

To answer your question, I think the rate varies greatly from one translator to another. But I think you can get an idea from here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view&rates_view_pair=chi_eng

And you can also look up in the translators' directories and see how much other translators are charging.

Why don't you ask directly the client how they get the word count?

Hope this helps.

Chun

hcord
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Chun Jul 18, 2008

Dear Chun

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I cannot view the rates link as I am not a premium member yet. Would you say USD 0.025 per source word is low if it is paid through an agency? Also, how do I figure out the correct word count? I will also ask the client how they got their figure. THANKS AGAIN Helen

LoyalTrans
Local time: 07:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Seems a bit low Jul 18, 2008

"USD 0.025 per source word" is and should be regarded as very low no matter where it comes from. But if you are just taking this as a chance for practice, then maybe you should take it for after all it is better than nothing.

As for the word count, I guess you don't use Trados so the repetitions should not be counted and I think you should stick to the word count in Word as the rate is already low.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't Jul 18, 2008

Don't take miserable rates because they are "better than nothing". There are too many people doing that and depressing tha market, while allowing themselves to be exploited like slaves.

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The rate mentioned is an insult Jul 20, 2008

hcord wrote:
I am new to the translation world so I would really appreciate any help I can get!

Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what the current going rate is (per word in USD) for Chinese to English translation? The job is through an agency so I expect the rate to be a bit lower.

Would you say USD 0.025 per source word is low if it is paid through an agency?

Also, I did a word count and came up with 87086 words whereas they quoted 72202 words which is vastly different. I assume it is caused by repetitions? What ( if any) should I be paid for repetitions?

The rate would be far too low in Pound Sterling, let alone in USD.

As Henry said, accepting rates like this is depressing the market and makes you a slave.
Just think, how long would it take you to do this translation, how much you would earn per hour and how much your yearly earning would be, and think of those, who actually live and support their families on their earnings as translators.

Your profile doesn't state where you are living now, but in any case, you could inquire at the ITI as well. If you are in London, it would be worth your while to go to some event where you could meet fellow translators. Also, there is a wealth of information on ProZ (Getting established) and generally on the net for beginners.

We cannot help with the word count, because we don't now anything about the document. But if there are repetitions, and you were supposed to give a discount on them, the PO should state it clearly.

A word of advice: you are obviously a beginner, therefore if I were you, I would be very cautious about offering services like: website localisation, software localisation, subtitling, desktop publishing, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the going rate for Chinese to English translation?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search