Thread poster: Luis E. Romero
Luis E. Romero
Luis E. Romero
Colombia
Local time: 02:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2008

I've been searching the forums for over an hour now and I was hoping you guys could help me.

A while ago I remember reading about an online bank that some foreigners here use because it allows them to have a US bank account without actually living in the US or being a resident. I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of the online bank was and I can't find it through searching. It's not a well known bank. Can someone please post the name of some online banks they know
... See more
I've been searching the forums for over an hour now and I was hoping you guys could help me.

A while ago I remember reading about an online bank that some foreigners here use because it allows them to have a US bank account without actually living in the US or being a resident. I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of the online bank was and I can't find it through searching. It's not a well known bank. Can someone please post the name of some online banks they know of that allow non-us residents to open a bank account?

Thank you.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:52
German to English
Maybe this will help Jul 20, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/88-us_based_bank_account.html

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Social Security Number?? Jul 20, 2008

The only bank I see mentioned there is ING Direct, and this bank asks for a Social Security Number for opening an account, which seems to me like something only US residents would have... Am I mistaken??

Regards,
Jose

Luis E. Romero
Luis E. Romero
Colombia
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it... Jul 21, 2008

Ok I finally found it. It was Eternity Bank

https://www.eternitybanking.com/

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
FDIC? Jul 21, 2008

That bank is registered in Panama, not the US. I would therefore assume that your funds would not be FDIC insured as in the US. See http://www.fdic.gov/deposit/index.html for more information.

Be careful!

Ie Ling Arnett
Ie Ling Arnett  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Just need your passport Jul 22, 2008

Hi,

My mother who isn't a resident here in the U.S. just opened an account in my local bank. No problem at all. They only needed to see her passport and take note of my address here. She got her ATM card also

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a US Bank Account for non-residents

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »