Thread poster: Lena P J
Lena P J
United States
Local time: 01:39
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

Hello everyone,
I was just offered a job and since I'm a beginner, I'm not quite sure if the outsources pay you after the completion of the translation or not. Sorry if it seems like a ridiculous question to ask....If you get paid after you send them the completed project, how do you ensure that they pay you?
Thank you so much!!!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-31 14:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

[Edited at 2008-07-31 14:37]

Lena P J
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 31, 2008

Thank you! So, if I use paypal, I should expect a payment after I complete the project?

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:39
Paperwork Jul 31, 2008

Well, they can't pay you until you send them an invoice with your banking details/paypal address on it.

If you're new to freelancing, you should really swot up on some business books/courses or hire a bookkeeper to take care of your financial work.

Orla

[Edited at 2008-07-31 15:04]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just look around Proz Z - all you need is there Jul 31, 2008

Orla Ryan wrote:

Well, they can't pay you until you send them an invoice with your banking details/paypal address on it.

If you're new to freelancing, you should really swot up on some business books/courses or hire a bookkeeper to take care of your financial work.

Orla

[Edited at 2008-07-31 15:04]

I'm sure you don't need a bookkeeper yet - that comes later when you're so successful you have complicated paperwork.

I'm sure everything you need to know is covered by the forums, articles etc, etc here on ProZ, and other translators' sites.

But you seem to be saying you have done a job (or are doing a job), yet you don't know how and when you will be paid - is that right?

You really need to sort out details like that before you start work. Some outsourcers pay on receipt (not many, though), others after 30 days (the "norm"), others keep hold of the money for as long as they can. Some pay by bank transfers, others pay be cheque or via Paypal, Moneybookers etc.

I doubt you would ever get an outsourcer to pay before you do the job, but a new direct client (especially a private individual) may agree to pay at least a percentage up front.

So, do your research here, make sure you know in advance what the payment terms are, then go for it without giving a percentage to someone else. And, above all, try to make sure you're working for a reputable company/freelancer before you sign anything.

Good luck

Jack Qin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
I prefer bank transfer Aug 1, 2008

I prefer bank transfer which is convenient for me. Of course, I also accept Western Union, Paypal, etc.

FYI

Jack

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Send invoice with the work Aug 1, 2008

Hello Lena,
Well, as others have said, in future make sure to have the terms of payment established in writing before you start work (job reference, rate per word, quantity, delivery date, payment date, etc.). Then, send your invoice with the work, reiterating all the agreed terms and your full bank details - or some companies prefer you to send them a consolidated invoice at the end of the month listing all the jobs done for them that month.
If it would help, I'd be happy to send you a sample invoice if you'd like to contact me personally.
Best of luck,
Jenny.

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agencies vs Direct clients Aug 1, 2008

Agencies: In my case agencies pay me usually at the end of the month (jobs done thru the month) or on a 30 days after the invoice date. Most of them pay me through a bank transfer but 4 of them pay me through an on-line system (PayPal or Moneybookers).

Direct clients: I charge 25% upfront to new business clients. Once they become regular clients I let them pay everything on a 30-day period after the invoice date. If they are individuals they have to pay half of the total amount when contracting the job and the other 50% upon receipt of the job.

Regarding the invoice, you should talk to your "internal revenue service" to find out how a legal invoice is made in your country.

Hope this helps

Lena P J
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 1, 2008

Thank you! Your posts were really helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do outsourcers pay you?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search