Thread poster: Beatriz Benavente
Beatriz Benavente
Beatriz Benavente  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2008

Good afternoon,

I need help from someone who lives or has lived in England and I can only think of these forums. I am considering an in-house position as a translator in an agency in England, but I have doubts about the average salary. I found on the Internet that it is about 28000£/year.

In the agency they offer about £18k per year. What do you think? I think it's not too much, but maybe I'm wrong because it's difficult for me to do the calculations... I don't know
... See more
Good afternoon,

I need help from someone who lives or has lived in England and I can only think of these forums. I am considering an in-house position as a translator in an agency in England, but I have doubts about the average salary. I found on the Internet that it is about 28000£/year.

In the agency they offer about £18k per year. What do you think? I think it's not too much, but maybe I'm wrong because it's difficult for me to do the calculations... I don't know how much would the accomodation and food cost.

Thank you in advance!

Beatriz
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
German to English
"National average" or profession average? Sep 9, 2008

The UK national average for salaried employees is frequently quoted but depending on the source lies anywhere between GBP18000 and GBP24000. There are any number of factors that affect the numbers.
Salary of GBP18000 would not on its own buy you the good life as a single in London, or many other cities for that matter. If £28000pa is quoted as an average for an in-house translator I'd be staggered because it would mean that some staffers are on 50k or more per year.
Food prices espe
... See more
The UK national average for salaried employees is frequently quoted but depending on the source lies anywhere between GBP18000 and GBP24000. There are any number of factors that affect the numbers.
Salary of GBP18000 would not on its own buy you the good life as a single in London, or many other cities for that matter. If £28000pa is quoted as an average for an in-house translator I'd be staggered because it would mean that some staffers are on 50k or more per year.
Food prices especially are on the way up in the UK; they have been rising all year. Accommodation depends on the region so good luck with the research.
DB
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Where in England? Sep 9, 2008

This sounds rather low, unless it's for an inexperienced translator in the provinces.

For someone with experience, working in London, I would say it's on the low side, although I don't live in the UK now so I'm a bit ut of touch.

The location is really crucial, as life in London is vastly more expensive than elsewhere.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Depends on a lot of things Sep 9, 2008

It does depend on where you live and what you eat (but more particularly on where you live)... As far as agency salaries go - assuming this is a translation/PM job rather than something like editing/proofreading etc. - I would say £18k is probably towards the lower end of the range, especially if the job is based in London, but for in-house positions the range isn't that large anyway, from what I've seen. I wouldn't pay too much heed to average salary figures - even a small number of millionair... See more
It does depend on where you live and what you eat (but more particularly on where you live)... As far as agency salaries go - assuming this is a translation/PM job rather than something like editing/proofreading etc. - I would say £18k is probably towards the lower end of the range, especially if the job is based in London, but for in-house positions the range isn't that large anyway, from what I've seen. I wouldn't pay too much heed to average salary figures - even a small number of millionaires can skew those to make the rest of us look much richer, when in fact there are very many people who live on less than that.

Housing costs vary considerably according to which region you're living in, so it would help if you could tell us where the job is based. As a general rule of thumb, the further north and the further away from London you go, the less expensive housing becomes, but it certainly isn't cheap anywhere. I'm sure there must be online income tax & NI calculators you can use to get an idea of what your disposable income would be.

For a clearer idea of things, you really need to know what sort of accommodation you'd be willing to live in, too. Would you be living on your own, or bringing family with you? Would you consider a flat-share or bedsit? These are the sorts of things you need to decide on. Then you can look at websites to get an idea of current asking prices for the different categories of housing.

Don't forget to factor transport costs into the equation - how close would you be likely to live to your workplace? Travel by rail or the London underground could account for a hefty slice of your budget, so obviously the closer you can live to your workplace, the less you'll have to budget on that front (though having said that, you may also find that the closer to a city centre you are, the more expensive housing becomes).

[Edited at 2008-09-09 12:58]
Collapse

Beatriz Benavente
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer Sep 9, 2008

Thank you, Daniel, Sheila and Peter,

The position is in Cambridgeshire and with your answers I'm not so lost. I'll take into account your information for my decission. It's very useful.

They didn't tell me anything about inexperienced translators, so I assume they consider that amount the normal one. And the info I found on the net about the 28000 per year is not for translation specifically, it was in general.

Yes, I know I have to take into account the a
... See more
Thank you, Daniel, Sheila and Peter,

The position is in Cambridgeshire and with your answers I'm not so lost. I'll take into account your information for my decission. It's very useful.

They didn't tell me anything about inexperienced translators, so I assume they consider that amount the normal one. And the info I found on the net about the 28000 per year is not for translation specifically, it was in general.

Yes, I know I have to take into account the accomodation type. But I must tell them now if it interests me and after that, look for something, which doesn't give me much time to spend now. I had to calculate in broad outline if it's worth accepting.

Thank you!
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
Depends on various aspects ... Sep 9, 2008

...e.g. the area, your lifestyle etc. Personally, I think it's very low. You need to consider that unless you have your own place, you end up paying at least £1000 per month rent for one bedroom flat (that's being based in London). Add bills, travel expenses and food (prices have been increasing rapidly over last couple of months) and you won't be able to survive.
Basically, I don't think £18000 is enough, especially if you are not 'settled' in the UK yet.

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Average salaries from Government Statistics Office Sep 9, 2008

Average gross UK earnings in April 2007 were:

25,896 pounds a year (32,187 euros) for men

and 20,488 pounds a year (25,465 euros) for women.

Average London salaries for both sexes were 30,212 pounds (37,552 euros).

Note: These are gross salaries, and unlike Spain or Italy, 'black money' is not usually significant in the UK.

Source:
... See more
Average gross UK earnings in April 2007 were:

25,896 pounds a year (32,187 euros) for men

and 20,488 pounds a year (25,465 euros) for women.

Average London salaries for both sexes were 30,212 pounds (37,552 euros).

Note: These are gross salaries, and unlike Spain or Italy, 'black money' is not usually significant in the UK.

Source: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

[Edited at 2008-09-09 13:05]
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Take home Sep 9, 2008

I think your monthly take home would be somewhere around 1150- 1200, but I haven't lived in the UK for a while now. It's a starter salary, but the chances are that it wouldn't go up much, but it would be great in terms of experience. I believe in-house positions are few and far between in the UK.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
British Slang Sep 9, 2008

Peter Shortall wrote:

Would you consider a flat-share or bedsit? These are the sorts of things you need to decide on. Then you can look at websites to get an idea of current asking prices for the different categories of housing.

Hmm, a bedsit. That's a new one for me.

4leavedClover
4leavedClover  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:25
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Take a look at http://www.upmystreet.com Sep 9, 2008

... and you can learn something about the area or check some useful statistics.
And it might be worth working for less money and a good reference, it's up to you to decide. Good luck anyway!

mattsmith
mattsmith
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
It isn't so bad for your languages Sep 9, 2008

Although it isn't a high salary at all, 18K is about average for an in-house translator translating a pair of 'big languages' in the UK. I have seen in-house jobs recently for as low as 12K outside London and 16K in London. Unfortunately in-house salaries have been falling in the UK recently because of outsourcing of translation work to cheap service providers overseas. You actually get paid much more in a basic in-house proof reading or copy editing post in the UK than you do in a translation p... See more
Although it isn't a high salary at all, 18K is about average for an in-house translator translating a pair of 'big languages' in the UK. I have seen in-house jobs recently for as low as 12K outside London and 16K in London. Unfortunately in-house salaries have been falling in the UK recently because of outsourcing of translation work to cheap service providers overseas. You actually get paid much more in a basic in-house proof reading or copy editing post in the UK than you do in a translation post nowadays.

[Edited at 2008-09-09 14:26]
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cambridge Sep 9, 2008

...is also a particularly expensive area, I'm afraid to have to tell you! The city is prohibitive, and much of what you might consider commutable to the city. But further away isn't so bad.

Beatriz Benavente
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer Sep 9, 2008

Thank you for your answers!

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
In-house not well paid Sep 9, 2008

Dear Beatriz,

In general I find that in-house positions in the UK are exceptionally rare, and not well paid. I know one senior translator working from German who only gets paid 19K per year. Things in Spain are not much better, I often hear about full-time in-house translators getting €1,000. I am an in-house translator, part-time, and I'm not doing it for the great salary, but for more experience. I get texts practically every day, they are sent out to more experienced translator
... See more
Dear Beatriz,

In general I find that in-house positions in the UK are exceptionally rare, and not well paid. I know one senior translator working from German who only gets paid 19K per year. Things in Spain are not much better, I often hear about full-time in-house translators getting €1,000. I am an in-house translator, part-time, and I'm not doing it for the great salary, but for more experience. I get texts practically every day, they are sent out to more experienced translators for revision, and I get the results back, so I get to learn. The goal is to go freelance in the future, when my experience has increased. Perhaps it may be worth it in the long run, for your CV.

I hope you find what you're looking for, I've been there!

Paul
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Cambridgeshire Sep 9, 2008

Hi Beatriz

I live in Cambridgeshire. I can confirm that the city of Cambridge is expensive. However, if you are happy with student type accommodation, this is quite plentiful and prices are dictated by what students can afford. You will also avoid major transport costs as it is not a big city.
If the job is outside Cambridge, especially to the North or West, maybe to the East (Ely, St. Ives, Huntingdon, St. Neots), costs are much lower.
By all means e-mail me if I ca
... See more
Hi Beatriz

I live in Cambridgeshire. I can confirm that the city of Cambridge is expensive. However, if you are happy with student type accommodation, this is quite plentiful and prices are dictated by what students can afford. You will also avoid major transport costs as it is not a big city.
If the job is outside Cambridge, especially to the North or West, maybe to the East (Ely, St. Ives, Huntingdon, St. Neots), costs are much lower.
By all means e-mail me if I can offer more detailed help.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doubt: Salary in England

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »