Issues with payment - company is not cooperating
Thread poster: DSilva
DSilva  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

Hi. I did a job for a company back in June, and I sent them my payment invoice with all the information they requested so they could deposit my payment directly into my bank account. They said they'd take 45 days for the payment to be deposited... which I was not made aware of when I agreed to the job, but I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

Well, the 45 days have already passed and I still haven't gotten paid. I've sent emails to their billing department, asking for information or someone who could tell me what's going on, but so far nobody's answered me.

Needless to say, I am VERY angry and frustrated. I really need the money but don't know what to do now. I'd mention the company's name but the last thing I want is to be blacklisted (well, after this, I won't deal with that company again, it's just too shady for my tastes.)

What can I do now? I don't suppose taking a company located outside my country to a small claims court will do much good.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please make a Blue Board entry Sep 16, 2008

You are quite right not to identify the outsourcer in question on this forum:

Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically. Posts or comments regarding a specific outsourcer (identified by name, reference, link or other means), whether positive or negative, are not permitted. (To indicate their likelihood of working again with a given outsourcer, site users should use the ProZ.com Blue Board.)
http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

However, please do consider posting your experience to the ProZ.com Blue Board. This would help any other translator who might be considering working for the company which has not paid you. If you are not yet familiar with the ProZ.com Blue Board, please see http://www.proz.com/faq/blue_board_agency It is an extremely helpful resource!

Yolanda Broad, Ph.D.

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Happens too often Sep 16, 2008

This happens to me quite frequently. Have you contacted the PM who assigned you the job? I usually attach the last e-mail I received or sent, one that contains a series of emails back and forth concerning the job. In my experience, the PM can usually get me paid or find out what I need to do and didn't know to do.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Highly irresponsible behavior... Sep 16, 2008

James McVay wrote:

This happens to me quite frequently. Have you contacted the PM who assigned you the job? I usually attach the last e-mail I received or sent, one that contains a series of emails back and forth concerning the job. In my experience, the PM can usually get me paid or find out what I need to do and didn't know to do.

I have not contacted the PM because she told me to contact the company's billing department for any payment concerns. I did speak to a fellow translator who mentioned other people that worked with this company did not continue to do so after a while. I think I can see why. It's funny, I was hoping that getting jobs at this company would allow me to get other similar jobs, but it looks like the opposite now.

As for the Blue Board, I'll do it if the employer keeps ignoring my requests for help.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guess this isn't going to work Sep 19, 2008

I spoke to my PM over email and all she did was forward my message to their billing department, and to someone else I don't know about.

I was reading this post on this forum:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/115747-90_day_payment_policy_what_should_i_do.html
... and I think I'm going to stop working for the company I mentioned. They've offered me some good jobs, but if this is how they're going to deal with payments, I won't bother with them anymore.

I'll put up a Blue Board comment on them in a little bit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with payment - company is not cooperating

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search