https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/115669-western_union_or_wire_transfer.html

Western Union or wire transfer
Thread poster: Iulia Cosma
Iulia Cosma
Iulia Cosma  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:11
English to Romanian
+ ...
Sep 18, 2008

Hello.
Which method of payment (Western Union or wire transfer) do you believe is better and why? The sender is located in the US.
Thank you:).

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:11
German to English
+ ...
Check the fees and compare Sep 18, 2008

The transaction fees for banks vary widely. Find out what apples in your case and if you can, specify that the client will pay all fees (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't).

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Advantages and disadvantages Sep 18, 2008

Western Union is very speedy but applies very unfavourable exchange rates. This is a kind of hidden charge.

Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wire transfer Sep 18, 2008

Hi Iulia

I was told last month that Western Union does not work for receiving money from companies, but this is the rule in Brazil, I do not know what the practice is in other countries.
Good luck.
Francis

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's all about the sender, Francis Sep 18, 2008

Francis Kastalski wrote:
I was told last month that Western Union does not work for receiving money from companies, but this is the rule in Brazil, I do not know what the practice is in other countries.
Good luck.
Francis

As far as I could ascertain, both Western Union and Moneygram are intended for individuals sending money to individuals. So your PM would actrually have to take your payment in cash to one of their locations and send it to you.

Wire transfers may be costly. In Brazil the bank charges some USD 80 per transaction, regardless of the amount involved. You may check this with your bank in Romania, Iulia.

Iulia Cosma
Iulia Cosma  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time for research! Sep 22, 2008

Thank you all for your valuable answers. I'll start doing some research, then.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 20:11
English to Spanish
Why not PayPal? Sep 22, 2008

If you have a credit or debit card, why not use PayPal? This is the cheaper way to be paid and withdraw funds.

Try it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Western Union or wire transfer

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »