Moneybookers problems
Thread poster: Aigars Kalnins
Aigars Kalnins
Aigars Kalnins
Latvia
Local time: 12:47
English to Latvian
Sep 18, 2008

I have heard from a lot of my friends that Moneybookers system is absolotely insecure now, and many of my friends even have lost their money in this system. At first MB locked my friends accounts by unknown reasons and nobody from MB even can answer an e-mails (at least during 1 month) and than all money from MB accounts get lost.
I think that it is necessary to warn everybody about these Moneybookers problems.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-18 13:25]

Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:47
English to Arabic
I am with you Sep 18, 2008

Thanks Aigars for your warning, actually my account is locked, and from time to time I receive a mail from money bookers indicating that there was a failed login attempt to my account, I am so mad of all those insecurity issues.
Rayyan

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 15:17
One of my clients recently lost money via Moneybookers Sep 18, 2008

One of my clients recently had their account hacked. I'm pretty mad, since my payment was part of what was stolen from their account.

While I am of course not responsible, and the client is making arrangements to pay me through another channel, it does leave a bad taste in the mouth, and could have the unwanted side effect of causing a budding client-freelancer relationship to sour, even though neither party is really at fault.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I also had my account hacked Sep 18, 2008

Fortunately, there was no money in it and MB doesn't display your full bank details, so limited risk of identity theft - but I also have had no response from MB in the two weeks since it happened, which is a pretty poor show in my opinion. In fact I'm inclined to close my account, as I hardly ever use it anyway.

to be fair, I should point out that it was actually my email account that got hacked and the hacker managed to gain access to (and change the password of) my MB account thr
... See more
Fortunately, there was no money in it and MB doesn't display your full bank details, so limited risk of identity theft - but I also have had no response from MB in the two weeks since it happened, which is a pretty poor show in my opinion. In fact I'm inclined to close my account, as I hardly ever use it anyway.

to be fair, I should point out that it was actually my email account that got hacked and the hacker managed to gain access to (and change the password of) my MB account through that. But that doesn't excuse the total lack of response from MB.
Collapse

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 19:47
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 18, 2008

Mahmoud Rayyan wrote: actually my account is locked, and from time to time I receive a mail from money bookers indicating that there was a failed login attempt to my account
Rayyan

Same thing here. My account has also been locked after about 15 emails telling me about failed login attempts. I have been unable to unlock it because their system does not want to accept my correct details for verification purposes. As I had no money in it, I simply won't use it again.

Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Not the same Nicole Sep 18, 2008

You are lucky you don't have money ot MB this time, but I have, this is the first time I use moneybookers and this happened to me, this is going to leave a bad effect on my heart towards transfering money this way.
I hope this issue ends up ASAP
Rayyan

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Just tried to close my account... Sep 18, 2008

... to find that it is locked, and I cannot close it. A customer support representative will review the situation "as soon as possible" and graciously decide if they will deign to let me close my account. I have a support ticket number, but - and here's the bit I like best - if I submit a second message, my request will move to the back of the queue.

Insert your own very long list of expletives here.

... See more
... to find that it is locked, and I cannot close it. A customer support representative will review the situation "as soon as possible" and graciously decide if they will deign to let me close my account. I have a support ticket number, but - and here's the bit I like best - if I submit a second message, my request will move to the back of the queue.

Insert your own very long list of expletives here.

[Edited at 2008-09-18 17:03]
Collapse

Speranza
Speranza  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Oh, so I'm not the only one after all? Sep 18, 2008

When I tried to warn everybody of these same problems last winter, the response I got was along the lines of "don't you dare slander this fabulous company." Apparently things are getting increasingly worse at MB.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
I just closed my account Sep 19, 2008

I have gotten quite a few "failed login atempt" notifications lately, so I decided to delete my credit card info from my account and then closed the darned thing.

The thing that worries me is, MB didn't allow me to delete my bank info as well... so I can't really say I feel safe now

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:47
French to English
Couldn't agree more! Sep 25, 2008

This company is awful! I have some money in it and they won't let me have it. They want me to now send them I.D. but if their system was more secure surely I wouldn't have to do that in the first place. I'm getting my bit of money and closing the account! How nice it is to get things off your chest!!!

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Me too Sep 26, 2008

I've been getting those automated "unauthorized access attempt" messages from Moneybookers too. I had quite a time getting the staff to unlock my account so I could change my address, but they finally did it. Now I'm wondering if that was a good move.

I don't have any money in the Moneybookers account, but that account has access to my bank accounts. Could someone theoretically hack into the Moneybookers account and just help themselves to my regular bank accounts?

I'v
... See more
I've been getting those automated "unauthorized access attempt" messages from Moneybookers too. I had quite a time getting the staff to unlock my account so I could change my address, but they finally did it. Now I'm wondering if that was a good move.

I don't have any money in the Moneybookers account, but that account has access to my bank accounts. Could someone theoretically hack into the Moneybookers account and just help themselves to my regular bank accounts?

I've already sent a message to Moneybookers' security asking them if they can find out who's making these unauthorized access attempts and stop them. No answer so far. I'm getting really tempted to just close the account altogether.
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same thread Sep 26, 2008

Hi Richard, you have the possibility of creating a second account in your bank, in which you will place 200 € or so, and not the money of your household.

That way if a theft happens, it is not a catastrophy.

With the second account you can have a credit card to buy stuff online too. You want to buy a 400 € computer online? You pour 400 € from your real account to the second, and you buy the computer with the credit card of the second account.

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 30, 2008

One of my clients moved to using MB and it took me 3 months to get my money out of MB; they were demanding all sorts of information even the banks don't require - which they didn't get. In the end I was on the verge of reporting them to the FSA, but found a phone number on the FSA web site for their FSA contact who eventually sorted it out and closed the account, but even then it wasn't plain sailing. God help you if you trade through a company and open an account with them in its name.

sofijana
sofijana  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
I'm not alone .... Oct 11, 2008

I'm losing my patience and thinking about closing my MB account.
Does anyone have any good alternative - for those small amounts (up to 50 EUR).
Thanks!

I have just received an e-mail from MB.
In order to verify my identity, they are asking for a high resolution scanned image of my personal document (passport or driv.license, etc), and a copy of a bill issues by telephone, electrical, or some other utility company - issued on my name.

... See more
I'm losing my patience and thinking about closing my MB account.
Does anyone have any good alternative - for those small amounts (up to 50 EUR).
Thanks!

I have just received an e-mail from MB.
In order to verify my identity, they are asking for a high resolution scanned image of my personal document (passport or driv.license, etc), and a copy of a bill issues by telephone, electrical, or some other utility company - issued on my name.

They started asking too much (as if they're a police), plus - I'm not sure any more how reliable this whole system is, and on top of all - would it resolve my problems, or they might ask for more, and more, and more...

Should I give them the copy of my passport and telephone bill?

[Edited at 2008-10-12 13:32]
Collapse

Martha Schwan
Martha Schwan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Oct 16, 2008

I never had any money lost, but It's good to know about the discrepancies with that Company. I myself have been facing a lot of trouble with PayPal, which doesn't answer my questions or even resolve any issues I have.

My accounts there are locked and I have tried eveything to unlock them with no success!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers problems

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »