Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2003

Hi there,

What is the most practical way to make payments to people that are not in your country? It should be taken into account that these payments would not be large amounts and that they would not be regular.

If I transfer the money internationally through my bank, it seems I would pay a minimum of 10 British pounds. If I send a British cheque abroad, I guess the recipient will have to pay a percentage of the amount to receive the money.

Is there a practical way around it?

Also, who is supposed to pay the transaction cost in general? The sender or the recipient? Let's suppose I use a translator abroad, being a translator myself.

Many thanks for any help. All suggestions are welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:06
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PayPal may be best after all Jun 26, 2003

I have restricted PayPal to instances when I wasn't sure whether I could trust a customer whose identity I could not verify,
but now I'm coming round to the idea that it may be the best way to pay other free-lancers, particularly for small amounts. I'm aware of the drawbacks, but it is instantly confirmed and reliable.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:06
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
everybody pays, when banks are involved Jul 1, 2003

See also my other answer ("nett invoices").
I wonder if I should use Paypal as well.

Anyway, bankcharges: as long as the party that sends the money, sends you the correct amount in the correct currency.
They will be charged fees, but mostly the receiving bank charges fees as well. They are sometimes less, if it's a bank within the same 'group' (multinational).

Compare it to when you pay by creditcard. You may pay €100, but the one you are paying will receive between €95 and €98.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to pay translators abroad

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search