Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 15, 2008

G'day everyone

We have an Irish translator (Republic of Ireland) working for us and he has reported some unusual banking costs when we transfer money. We try to pay all of our own side's costs, but an amount has slipped through the cracks. The translator's bank statement simply says "€6.35 (sender's charges deducted)". This was on an invoice of EUR 420.00. The payment was made via SWIFT and the payment was in EUR.

If you're Irish, have you seen similar charges bef
... See more
G'day everyone

We have an Irish translator (Republic of Ireland) working for us and he has reported some unusual banking costs when we transfer money. We try to pay all of our own side's costs, but an amount has slipped through the cracks. The translator's bank statement simply says "€6.35 (sender's charges deducted)". This was on an invoice of EUR 420.00. The payment was made via SWIFT and the payment was in EUR.

If you're Irish, have you seen similar charges before? Do you have any idea what they are and where they come from?

We don't mind paying translators' banking charges but we need to know how much they are and what they are for. Oh, by the way, "we" are in South Africa.

Thanks
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Banking charges Oct 15, 2008

Since it is a small amount (about £5 sterling) and the statement says "sender's charges deducted", I would venture to suggest that it is some sort of handling charge for processing the transaction (on your side - you are the 'sender' in this case).

I can't think of what else it could be, unless a credit card was also involved, which I doubt.

Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
This might help Oct 15, 2008

I have an Irish bank account myself (AIB), and I recall that on the form to send money there is an option to check:

-All costs for sender
-All costs for receiver
-Share costs between sender and receiver.

It might be that because this option wasn't checked, or because there wasn't such option on the form, that it was automatically assumed that the costs were shared.

Hope this helps a bit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Banking costs in Ireland

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »