Alternatives to PayPal?
Thread poster: Whitney Bryan
Whitney Bryan
Whitney Bryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
Italian to English
Nov 7, 2008

Hello, everyone!

In the past, I have used PayPal for translation payments and like being able to offer potential clients the opportunity to easily pay by credit card or bank transfer. Recently, however, I have had some difficulties with people trying to access my PayPal account (and someone actually being able to access it and change the language, which PayPal promptly fixed). Given this, I am wary of maintaining my PayPal account and am wondering what alternatives people use? I
... See more
Hello, everyone!

In the past, I have used PayPal for translation payments and like being able to offer potential clients the opportunity to easily pay by credit card or bank transfer. Recently, however, I have had some difficulties with people trying to access my PayPal account (and someone actually being able to access it and change the language, which PayPal promptly fixed). Given this, I am wary of maintaining my PayPal account and am wondering what alternatives people use? I want to offer as secure options for my clients, but I do not want to put myself at risk.

Thank you,
Whitney
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
worried Nov 7, 2008

Hi Whitney, I heard in an Italian forum that someone else had the same bad experience - somehow the crook was able to work out his password.

What happened to you?

ilker ingiz
ilker ingiz
Türkiye
Local time: 09:08
German to Turkish
+ ...
Moneybookers Nov 7, 2008

I am using moneybookers since 3 years and I am happy. Ofcourse some tecnical problems may happen sometimes but most of the time it's good.

Whitney Bryan
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: worried Nov 7, 2008

Hi Tom,

This summer, I received an e-mail from PayPal in an Asian language (I apologize for not knowing which one). Of course, I ignored it, thinking that it was another PayPal scam e-mail. Soon afterward, however, I received an official e-mail from PayPal stating there was reason to believe that my account had been accessed illegally and they had changed my language preference back to English. I accessed my account (not via the e-mail, for safety reasons), changed my password and
... See more
Hi Tom,

This summer, I received an e-mail from PayPal in an Asian language (I apologize for not knowing which one). Of course, I ignored it, thinking that it was another PayPal scam e-mail. Soon afterward, however, I received an official e-mail from PayPal stating there was reason to believe that my account had been accessed illegally and they had changed my language preference back to English. I accessed my account (not via the e-mail, for safety reasons), changed my password and removed all my banking information, but I have yet to fax them proof of identity because I don't know if I wish to keep the account. Earlier this summer, my credit card had unauthorized use, and I am still unsure if this information had been accessed via PayPal. In addition, someone had tried to add my information to a new ebay account, but I do not know if this was related.

Best wishes,
Whitney
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Are you sure? Nov 7, 2008

How can you be sure that the e-mail you received in the Asian language and the reply from PalPal weren't both fraudulent? Just curious....

Whitney Bryan
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Are You Sure? Nov 7, 2008

Hi Amy,

I thought the same thing at first and accessed my PayPal account (not from any e-mail link) thinking nothing would be wrong. When I did, there was a "lock" (cannot remember the actual term) on my account and instructions (including changing the password) on how to access the account. I then e-mailed PayPal for confirmation of what had happened. I have not completed the final step, faxing or mailing a copy of my ID, which would allow me to complete transactions.

... See more
Hi Amy,

I thought the same thing at first and accessed my PayPal account (not from any e-mail link) thinking nothing would be wrong. When I did, there was a "lock" (cannot remember the actual term) on my account and instructions (including changing the password) on how to access the account. I then e-mailed PayPal for confirmation of what had happened. I have not completed the final step, faxing or mailing a copy of my ID, which would allow me to complete transactions.

Best wishes,
Whitney
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:08
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I've been through these "security checks" both in Moneybookers and Paypal Nov 7, 2008

I agree that they are cumbersome, illogical and so on (Say, I cannot open an account- or get a mortgage credit- which I have in the Bank to which to I withdraw my money to) on a bases of a faxed utility bill- which was one of the proofs these services demanded from me, however, I complied to them and both services work OK since (there were delay in transactions before I have fulfilled their demands).

But I don't think anyone can access your account in either of these services (or do
... See more
I agree that they are cumbersome, illogical and so on (Say, I cannot open an account- or get a mortgage credit- which I have in the Bank to which to I withdraw my money to) on a bases of a faxed utility bill- which was one of the proofs these services demanded from me, however, I complied to them and both services work OK since (there were delay in transactions before I have fulfilled their demands).

But I don't think anyone can access your account in either of these services (or do whatever operations with your accounts in them) unless they have stolen your login and passwords. And insuring the safety of these is your, not their, concern. I have to add that lately Support Services of both these Services in my experience work really good and fast- yes, there were a time I had to wait days for an answer, but that was years ago.

Uldis

whitneyb1 wrote:
I have not completed the final step, faxing or mailing a copy of my ID, which would allow me to complete transactions.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-11-07 21:20]
Collapse

Whitney Bryan
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Moneybookers Nov 7, 2008

Thanks, Tontoon, for the suggestion. I'll check into this service.

Whitney Bryan
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: I've been through these "security checks" both in Moneybookers and Paypal Nov 7, 2008

Yes, Uldis, I realize that I can probably continue using PayPal without problems once I fax the information. I just want to explore alternatives before continuing with PayPal. I am very careful about security and passwords, so this has worried me a bit.

Thanks for the feedback about your experience. It certainly makes me feel better about faxing the info!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
So Moneybookers is a good alternative? Nov 7, 2008

Then I beg you to check out this very recent thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/119633-beware_of_moneybookers:_they_do_not_refund_your_money_when_it_is_stolen_by_hackers.html

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers will no longer handle transfers involving persons in US Nov 9, 2008

I received this news today when I logged into my account, and abruptly withdrew my remaining funds.

Too bad, since the commissions Moneybookers charges on transfers is much lower than PayPal. Unfortunately, however, this service will no longer be of any use to me.

Bob

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is a generic problem ... Nov 9, 2008

... with any online bank or for that matter service (Amazon, Facebook ...) namely the identity theft. They all have exactly the same problem from their side when they need to be convinced it's me and not somebody else at the keyboard: user name? (check - correct) password? (check - correct)? Turing number?(check - correct). So? What can they do (Paypal just as well as Moneybookers)? They can (and they do) show extra caution in cases of strange, "abnormal" events, like large deposits (-> money laundering) or probably continuous unsuccessful logins.I had such a check procedure started by Paypal (large payment) and I actually felt good about it because they showed due dilligence.

Re alternative - I use Moneybookers as well and I am satisfied with both services. But I have my system under all kinds of firewalls and background services to avoid phishing attacks etc. Anything less than that is giving the burglar the keys to your house.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to PayPal?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »