Funds withheld by PayPal
Thread poster: Katarina Bovin
Katarina Bovin
Local time: 00:14
English to Swedish
Nov 18, 2008

For 6 years I have been having a PayPal account, which has worked fine for receiving and sending money. All by a sudden they decided to hold my money for 180 days. Even after an numerous amount of emails and phone calls to their support they have not been able to explain properly why they restricted the access to my account. They have only sent pre-made templates and provided different reasons each time.

Not only me have problems with PayPal, please see:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-19 07:39 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Capesha  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Any explanation? Nov 19, 2008

Did they explain this behaviour?

I once got a message where they asked me to do the verification procedure.

Another "problem" was when a customer asked me to use the "request payment" function. He was not verified and the money was "frozen". After some ugly emails from the customer and myself to PayPal everything was settled - it took us 1 week.

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Welcome to the club Nov 19, 2008

I had exactly the same situation with them over a year ago. And I learned my lesson - not to do business with any company that is not governed by the laws of the country I live in. You cannot take Paypal to court, they are a law to themselves so they do anything they want. And because they have monopoly in this area people trust them with their money (till what happened to you happens to them, of course). The only positive thing is that you will get your money back in 180 days, I did. Now if I see that client offers paypal payment, I do not even consider the job which means I do not have any US clients any more since they mostly pay by paypal.

So think of it as a saving - you do not have to put aside some money every month for your summer holidays, you just had to put aside a lump sum.

Good luck,
Ines

Yeti_fr
Local time: 05:14
English to French
Do they pay interest on the witheld amount? Nov 19, 2008

I guess the answer is no, but that's something you could ask: do they plan to pay you any interest on this 180 days witholding?

Capesha  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Why? Nov 19, 2008

Is there any explanation, why PayPal is acting this way? What do they say?

Unfortunately I have a lot to do with PayPal. It is expensive, but I mainly work for the US market and have little alternatives. I really would like to know, under which circumstances PayPal creates such ridiculous ideas.

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Kawai opportunity Nov 19, 2008

Yo, Katarina,

if by "withheld" you mean an impossibility to retrieve to your bank account, remember you also have the possibility to buy things online through Paypal.

For example you can find something kawai as a Xmas present on ebay, something that you could not find in your locality.

It doesn't solve the problem, but I hope it helps a bit.

Katarina Bovin
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Still no proper explanation from PayPal Nov 19, 2008

Dear Capesha,
I understand your worry.
I still trying to have PayPal explained why they want to hold my money for 180 days, but still have not received any straight answer. They keep sending different answers, first they consider my account for ‘Restricted activities’ I ask them, which of the 25 points under ‘Restricted activities’ in the User Agreement they refer to. They answer then that it was not really ‘Restricted activities’, but the action was taken due to it was a UK based PayPal account and I am living in Sweden. Despite that I have told them over the phone a couple of times that I now live in Sweden…

To be honest, I have lost my faith in them.

Luckily, the payers were reliable and helpful clients of mine. I refunded all the payments, talked to them and we arranged other payment methods i.e. cheque and bank transfer. Now I am working on to have the account closed for good.
PayPal has proved to be an unprofessional company, who can’t provide a proper reason for their actions. If you for example submit your question five times (exactly the same question, which I did in frustration you receive five different answers. It is like you banging your head against to wall. I am now looking for alternatives.

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:14
English to Russian
+ ...
H... Nov 20, 2008

Katarina Bovin wrote:

I am now looking for alternatives.

Have you tried ProZe-Pay?
I am kidding, of course, but this would be an appropriate alternative to other existing electronic payment systems. I guess, I am not the first one to voice the idea and, hopefully, with the time Henry will see into it.

P.S. The problem with some companies like PayPal is that they seem to underestimate the value of trust and reliability customers lean on, not to speak about a big idea any company should have as their core value to be able to last for a long time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Funds withheld by PayPal

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search