Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Extremely low rate offered by outsourcer
Thread poster: Josie St-Amour

Josie St-Amour
Canada
Local time: 15:43
English to French
Nov 19, 2008

I'm sorry if you've ever received a messages like this one, but this is a first for me.

I've just been contacted directly by a potential client through Proz, to do a 3750 words job.... when I send my bid, I was told that I was asking too much, and that they would only pay 60$

60$ for 3750 word?!!!!! Who in the right mind would say yes? It's almost the hourly rate?

I'm in shock!!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-19 07:40 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:43
English to German
+ ...
Ignore it and move on Nov 19, 2008

Josie,

I'm sorry if you've ever received a messages like this one, but this is a first for me.

May I suggest to look through this forum?

Just ignore it - you quoted your price, but the (potential) customer is looking for a cheap offer. So what? Things didn't work out here - don't waste your time with this one.

Best regards,
Ralf

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
Contacted too Nov 19, 2008

I have also been contacted by a (Portuguese) outsourcer for the same amount of words in marketing. When I sent them rate, they replied that this rate was very much too high, even higher than what some agencies offer. They did not tell me they would pay 60 USD, tough.

Stéphanie

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:43
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
These are the zookeepers... Nov 19, 2008

... looking for monkeys who will accept peanuts. Unless you have a tail and like to swing in the trees don't even waste the effort of replying to such nonsense. There will always be some student or househusband looking for milk money who will take the "deal", but this nonsense is no threat to serious translators.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
Are you sure this isn't a typo? Nov 19, 2008

Maybe they meant $600. This would be US $0.16 / Euro 0,126 / word. That's quite average for translation agencies.

Your rate stated in your profile page is too high for agencies and too low for direct clients.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Addendum: Sorry, I was thinking in US Dollar. Nov 19, 2008

In Canadian Dollar even 600 would be too low.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
This is common Nov 19, 2008

The only surprise to me is that it's the first time it has happened to you. I often get inquiries asking for my best price (best price? for whom???). I send a polite reply with my rates, sometimes adding that I couldn't pay my rent or food in Germany if I worked for less, and that's the end of it.

United States
English to German
+ ...
I don't know, Woodstock... Nov 19, 2008

A rate of 0.016 would sound truly adventurous, however, why would a really sleazy "company" bother to reply at all, if they are that cheap?

Typo?

Greetings,

Nicole

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just say no! Nov 19, 2008

What does it help saying it's too much?

Suppose they want to buy a car. It costs, say, $ 30,000. If it's too much, they'll either buy a cheaper one, or ride a bus. At this price level however, I think they'll just keep on walking, as long as they can afford shoes.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
Hello Nicole Nov 19, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A rate of 0.016 would sound truly adventurous, however, why would a really sleazy "company" bother to reply at all, if they are that cheap?

Typo?

Greetings,

Nicole

Not sure what you are referring to here. I'm not fishing for a reply to my answers to such inquiries. Often it is simply a request for my rates without a particular price being referenced, but if the origin is from a country known for low rates, I assume their pricing is not of interest to me. However, I allow that I could be proven wrong (even if the chances are slim), and send a polite response, even in cases where the rates are mentioned. It doesn't cost anything except a few minutes of my time and promotes good will, something my native country (US) has not been known for in recent years!

Cheers !

Edited to add:
In this particular case I would guess that the agency is just trying to find a sucker and hopes that persistence will persuade the potential victim? Who knows what experience they have had trying this method in the past? Maybe they were successful in a different language pair? Either way, whether typo or not, I suspect this type of thing will happen more and more as agencies will be squeezed financially. Many will go out of business, in the end. Sad, but a reality.

[Edited at 2008-11-19 10:40 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
@Woodstock: Because Josie replied to this direct contact Nov 19, 2008

That's why I assume that she didn't consider it a prank in the first place.

The rates in the US are going up and up, BTW.

Best,

Nicole

Germany
German to English
+ ...
Rates in a lousy economy Nov 19, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

...The rates in the US are going up and up, BTW.

Nicole

Glad to hear that the economic downturn does not appear to have affected the translation business over there yet, or not you, anyway, but this thing (recession) isn't over. I actually don't work for US clients. and didn't even before the USD tanked in relation to the EUR. I have lived in Germany longer than in the States now, and my clients are essentially all here. However, some agencies here (but not ones I work with, yet) are starting to put out the word that they are beginning to feel price pressure - it may or may not be just an excuse to squeeze lower prices from the translators, though.

Marian Vieyra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Low Rates Nov 19, 2008

I recently quoted for a job on proz with my usual rate and back came the reply thanking me for my interest but saying they were "working with 0.03 EUR per source word" at the moment! IMHO, some agencies that fail to weather the economic storm deserve to go out of business.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Take off your blindfolds and open your eyes Nov 19, 2008

Offering a low-rate is one thing, but I hate it when they outright LIE and say things like "all of our other translators work for .04 a word and do excellent work" or "you do not have any experience, so we cannot pay you any more" or "if you accept this job, we will provide you with more work".

Even though it does get repetitive, this topic needs to be discussed from time to time. Otherwise, new translators will really start to believe that outsourcers are the ones who set the rates and conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8-_vIplso&feature=related

[Edited at 2008-11-19 15:59 GMT]

Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Well... I don't know... Nov 20, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The rates in the US are going up and up, BTW.

Best,

Nicole

Maybe in your language pair the rates are going up, Nicole...
In my language pair not only the rates are going down the drain but the number of jobs as well

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extremely low rate offered by outsourcer

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search