Pointers for a newbie?
Thread poster: Breagha (X)
Breagha (X)
Breagha (X)
Local time: 09:18
English to Danish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2009

I'm studying English, and would like to spice up my income a bit, translating. Most people here seem to have some really impressive CVs, though, and I'm a little uncertain whether I'd be out of my depth. So first pointer would be if I even belong here, heh.

Secondly, I've looked at some jobs that I would be able to undertake, but I always stop short, when I get to quote. What should I ask for per word? I'm thorough, and I love the language, so I work with it when I start translating
... See more
I'm studying English, and would like to spice up my income a bit, translating. Most people here seem to have some really impressive CVs, though, and I'm a little uncertain whether I'd be out of my depth. So first pointer would be if I even belong here, heh.

Secondly, I've looked at some jobs that I would be able to undertake, but I always stop short, when I get to quote. What should I ask for per word? I'm thorough, and I love the language, so I work with it when I start translating to or from English, but I don't yet have a degree, and I use no other tools than dictionaries, internet, reference points, and the people I translate for. On one hand, I know I'm not yet as good as the professionals, and on the other I don't want to put too low a price as I see people here being angry about undercutters.

Obviously, I'm completely new at this, and any and all pointers regarding money issues and generally setting up business would be very appreciated.
Collapse

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Search the forums Jan 24, 2009

Hi Breagha,

Please search the forums, you will find lots of information for newbies.

Regarding the rates, I don't know your combination (English into Danish) but look up for Danish translators and find what they charge from their profiles. That might be of help.

I have also sent you an e-mail with some information.

Have a nice weekend

Breagha (X)
Breagha (X)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thanks a lot for the very helpful email, it put some things into perspective I hadn't considered yet

And probably saved me a lot of agony

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:18
English to French
+ ...
Spicing up your income? Jan 24, 2009

Without getting into any detail, I would just like to point out that translation is one of those professions where it takes years to be a full-fledged professional. Wanting to spice up your income is a good idea, but I don't think that translation is a good way to go about it.

Learning to translate is time-intensive, and then marketing your services is also very demanding.

If you are interested in building a career over the years, go for it. But if you are looking for a
... See more
Without getting into any detail, I would just like to point out that translation is one of those professions where it takes years to be a full-fledged professional. Wanting to spice up your income is a good idea, but I don't think that translation is a good way to go about it.

Learning to translate is time-intensive, and then marketing your services is also very demanding.

If you are interested in building a career over the years, go for it. But if you are looking for a short term solution to get some extra revenue, I think you might as well look elsewhere. Translation requires a whole lot more than speaking a second language.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pointers for a newbie?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »