Very low rates
Thread poster: neilmac

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

Having just seen a job posting for English-Spanish text on proz : "We can offer 14.00 USD per thousand words". The rest of the conditions also appear very demanding (MUST have Trados, only 60% of rate paid for fuzzy matches, zero rate for 100% matches)
Are rates as low as this commonplace? I thought it must be a misprint. The poster has a high Blueboard rating with most respondents saying they are professional and "good payers".

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
This does happen Jan 28, 2009

Unfortunately, job offers with low rates aren't rare.

I find it strange that people are raving about this agency. Sure, it could be a misprint. That offer could be reflective of the agency's typical payment policies.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:41
English to Spanish
That's rather funny, actually Jan 28, 2009

Yesterday, they were offering 12.00 USD per 1,000 words. Apparently, people weren't interested. SO, now they are offering the grand sum of 0.002 USD (yes, that's TWO zeros) more per word than yesterday!!

WOW!!! I feel compelled to contact them all of a sudden!!

Andrea

PS: funny/offensive - poteito / potato

[Edited at 2009-01-28 17:55 GMT]

Maria Elena Martinez  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
a real abuse! Jan 28, 2009

Yes, I've seen it too. The agency is from UK, 14 USD per thousand words and 60% for fuzzy matches. Unbelievable! Unfortunately, I've seen some quotes by now...
Never ending story...

Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Not commonplace, but more and more frequent Jan 28, 2009

Ouch! And I thought the offer of 36 € per thousand words (roughly) for a large but urgent assignment, translating straight from a PDF file, which I received today, was already very low ...

This discussion comes up again and again, unfortunately. And it is very sad to see that such translations are assigned quite quickly. There are always people out there who translate for these rates and even less. Quality? I am not sure, maybe they are even good? Or not?

Actually, if you know what you are doing, you could even make a living on these rates, but you would have to work very hard, and you probably would have to work with "old" equipment, piracy software etc., worrying about your phone bill, slaving away for hours.

Some translators (hopefully) over time will see that a higher rate means less working hours, a better income or even both. Others will just remain content to work for these rates. And there will always be newcomers who just don't know better, and clients who will take advantage. There are also clients who do not know better, and they will just find these rates surfing the net and try to get them, too. Who wouldn't?

What bothers me most are agencies who publicly offer translation rates of 0.08 € to the end customer, including proofreading (or so they say). This is quite common, at least in Spain. Maybe the can handle a lot of their projects inhouse, but when they have to outsource, they obviously will not be able to pay a decent rate to the translator anymore, and if you even factor in external proofreading, I think the rate you mentioned will become a reality too soon.

I would not say that such rates are commonplace, but they seem to be more and more frequent, above all in the Spanish language market. And with the prices already at the bottom, they now even start to bring them further down mentioning the new key word "crisis". I think we will have a hard time to convince clients that this is NOT sustainable in the long run.

Oh, well ... I could go on and on, but I'll better stop here.

M Helena Ayala
United States
Local time: 21:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
simply ridiculous Jan 28, 2009

"The volume of the project is going to be quite large. (approx. 10,000 words per week)"

wow, 140 dollars per week!

I can earn more than working at a local McDonald's ($8x40= $320), and a free big sandwich (no drink though).

¡En fin!

ElleC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
I ignore them... Jan 28, 2009

I don't bother to quote for these people and feel sorry for those who do.This isn't even minimum wage. Like Maria Ayala says, you could make better $$ at McDonald's. It's very sad that quotes have been submitted.

Vladimir Gurinenko
Local time: 08:41
Russian to English
+ ...
It's a "DDoS" attack on job rates Jan 28, 2009

Translation agencies don't rush to cut their rates to their end customers -- there's simply no need for that; customers in need for professional translation will pay any money to get the job done right. Nevertheless, the increasing number of agencies start pressing on translators to drop their service rates. As it seems to me, all these requests to cut the rates, etc. are nothing but a massive attack aiming at dropping the common rate. This would let the agencies create a financial "airbag" now, while the market isn't bad, and enable them to charge their customers lower rates in the future, if the market gets worse. In other words, it's an attempt to compensate the employers' risks at the workers' expense. So, don't buy that and rather look for better customers.

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
But some people are evidently interested. Jan 28, 2009

Yesterday, they were offering 12.00 USD per 1,000 words. Apparently, people weren't interested.

I also kept a curious eye on these two offers (from the same company), not quite believing the prices offered (rubbed my eyes and did a double take).

For the $12 job offer, 34 people submitted a quote.

For the $14 job offer, 12 quotes so far have been submitted (8pm local time).

Granted, these people could well have been submitting protests, but somehow I doubt it.

Someone else on this forum mentioned minimum wage standards, etc. If the relevant government watchdog had any teeth they could investigate, but unfortunately they don't, so they can't / won't.

As for the high(ish) BB rating, they probably pay on time, that's all. Not so difficult when you're only paying peanuts. The operating costs in that Scottish town must be sky high.

Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Ignoring them is the only way to go Jan 28, 2009

ElleC wrote:

I don't bother to quote for these people and feel sorry for those who do.This isn't even minimum wage. Like Maria Ayala says, you could make better $$ at McDonald's. It's very sad that quotes have been submitted.

I agree: I believe my time and expertise are worth a lot more than offered, so I don't even quote. They are free to offer a job at any rate whatsoever, but I'm free to quote or not. Those who do are in fact debauching their own worth. True, they will get the job (and then ask KudoZ questions...) and lower standard rates, but sooner or later the Client will learn that "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".
Hopefully I won't starve in the meantime...

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
... Jan 28, 2009

John Paul Weir wrote:

Granted, these people could well have been submitting protests, but somehow I doubt it.

I hope that at least some of them are....

Am I being too näive??

Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Isn't here at Proz any regulation about this? Jan 28, 2009

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw 12/14 USD per thousand words. I don't blame those who replied to it, but also cannot find a reasonable justification... Isn't here at Proz any regulation about this? We couldn't even afford Proz membership with this job!

Seriously, this agency doesn't motivate translators at all (regarding this week poll, about what motivates you professionaly).

I wish I could simply ignore it, but evidently none of us did.

[Editado a las 2009-01-28 22:18 GMT]

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

ProZ.com offers a virtual platform where offer and demand meet Jan 28, 2009

Prices offered in job postings may vary a lot, as it is a free market. And the global market is multifaceted. ProZ.com simply offers a virtual platform where offer and demand meet.

ProZ.com cannot impose any price-fixing, but services providers are free to accept or refuse or ignore any price they consider not suitable. That is, any service provider is free to make a personal choice.

You may want to note that Jobs / BB moderators have never seen a job being re-posted at a higher rate, so it is clear that, after all, some professionals have accepted them. The best that can be done is simply to ignore job postings that are not of interest to us.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest you enter your rates in your profile (you can keep them non-visible to others) so that you will not receive notifications for jobs with an offered rate lower than your minimum.

Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Yolanda Jan 29, 2009

Thank you Yolanda for your reply!

Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Interestingly enough... Jan 29, 2009

on this company's website they state that their rates start at $175 per 1000 words. I wonder where the rest of the cash is going...

Laura

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very low rates

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search