How to charge for translation+research?
Thread poster: mediko06

mediko06
Turkey
Local time: 04:47
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
Feb 3, 2009

I have been asked to make a rate proposal to conduct a market research in my country. The research includes contacting and interviewing separate company authorities to fill out a questionnaire
(Translating the questionnaire and the respondents’ answers as well, of course). They are asking for at least three questionnaires to be completed.
I have conducted several researches in the past and I was paid monthly then since the job included not only market research but translation and interpretation during contract signing, telephone calls etc.
Can you please advise on how to make a decent rate proposal for such an assignment? Should I give a daily or hourly rate and how should I calculate it?
Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Charge an hourly rate for your professional services Feb 3, 2009

Greetings.

In view of those two different functions which that firm is requesting you to provide, charge an hourly rate for your professional services.

For work during late hours or weekends, add 20% to your fee schedule.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:47
Turkish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate should suffice Feb 3, 2009

I would go with an hourly rate also on a currency agreed by both of you, you can calculate a daily rate based on the hourly rate. Based on the job, you can either do a discount (if the customer has many hours planned) or a premium (rush hours or weekend hours).
Hayirli isler

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree. Hourly rate. Feb 4, 2009

Cheers everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for translation+research?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search