Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Google Ads and ProZ image?
Thread poster: Aniello Scognamiglio

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
Feb 5, 2009

Dear fellow translators,

we recently had a very similar discussion about Google Ads:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/125120-google_ads_here_out_of_control.html
I thought the issue was solved...

This morning I discovered that Google Ads are still embedded in ProZ (see forums, KudoZ etc.). Nothing against Ads in general but many of them are in the wrong place.

Forum example (irrelevant Google Ad on page 10):
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/126314-we_must_quote_in_low_price_jobs_with_our_prices-page10.html

KudoZ example (irrelevant Google Ad)
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/tourism_travel/3067262-5_star_hotel_hospitality.html

KudoZ example (relevant Google Ad) - that's ok.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/it_information_technology/3066592-tile.html

I was surprised at all the ads that appeared prior to login and wondered about the impression that a a non-user/non-member site visitor would get...

Does the ProZ community need this?

My 20 cents
Aniello

PS: You can see the Ads when you are logged out.




[Edited at 2009-02-05 23:17 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
AdSense Feb 5, 2009

Google places AdSense ads on websites that choose to display such ads. It's up to Google to decide what ad goes where, based on the text that's available on the web page. Some of these are "relevant", some of them are not. But that's the case on most websites with Google ads.

If you are logged in to Proz.com, you never see the ads. And there's no reason to log out - in fact you can use Proz.com for years without ever logging out.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
Japanese to German
+ ...
Yes, I used to stay logged in... (and unfortunately never paid much attention) Feb 5, 2009

however in these days my attention is drawn to the fact that proz.com is representing a very cluttered layout (when being logged out). My impression is quite similar to Aniello...

Moreover there have been shady ads amongst those "relevant" and "non-relevant" ads...as we learned from other threads... - therefore my attitude towards this disputable matter changed to a great deal, I am sad to admit ;-((


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's up to ProZ to convey a professional image. Feb 5, 2009

Csaba Ban wrote:

It's up to Google to decide what ad goes where, based on the text that's available on the web page.


Do you really think so? I cannot believe it.
It's up to the website owner to decide what goes where.

Google Ads that have nothing to do with our profession should not appear on a serious language portal.

A couple of minutes ago I read the following ad:
50 Yr Old Exec Turns Page
Comes Home And Doubles Income Not MLM
MakeMoneyAChoice.com
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/advertising_public_relations/3069340-exit_questionnaire.html

I think, there is no need to comment this Google Ad.


Some of these are "relevant", some of them are not. But that's the case on most websites with Google ads.


I don't think so. ProZ.com is not "most websites". So far, I have considered it a professional language portal.


If you are logged in to Proz.com, you never see the ads. And there's no reason to log out - in fact you can use Proz.com for years without ever logging out.


Sorry, Csaba, this makes me laugh. It doesn't answer THE question at all.

[Edited at 2009-02-06 12:06 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I would assume paying my dues... Feb 5, 2009

... would be enough to keep the site going on, without having to sell my clicks to AdSense/Addwords for additional income.

I feel uncomfortable, when my simple presence (wherever) triggers some future cash flow pipeline. Pls. keep this all out of my face.

[Edited at 2009-02-05 21:16 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I agree with you entirely, Aniello Feb 6, 2009

I suppose it is expensive to keep this site running, and that our membership fees are obviously not sufficient.

However, it is not exactly going to attract serious end clients to the site, as any prospective clients will see all those ads. There are at least two reasons why end clients could look at the site. (1) The translator with whom they are doing business has mentioned the name of Proz.com and they decide to take a look at the web site (and are then hit in the face by the unprofessional image it conveys); (2) A translator goes on holiday and says to his or her (end) clients: "You could look for a colleague on Proz.com while I am on holiday." The client goes to the web site and looks....


Placing all those ads there does assume that only translators - and not clients or prospective clients - use the web site, yet so many translators are always asking why end clients rarely place jobs on the site.

Astrid


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Inacceptable Feb 6, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

... would be enough to keep the site going on, without having to sell my clicks to AdSense/Addwords for additional income.

I feel uncomfortable, when my simple presence (wherever) triggers some future cash flow pipeline. Pls. keep this all out of my face.

[Edited at 2009-02-05 21:16 GMT]


No way, Vito.
Just log out, go a bit further down in the thread and enjoy the Google Ads:

Free PPC Spy Tool?
Secretly Spy on Competitor's Best Keywords With PPC Web Spy.%100 Free
P-P-C-WebSpy.com
*
Lebe den Mythos
Werde ein Samurai und rette das Kaiserreich vor dunklen Mächten.
www.katsuro.de

*
Secretly Spy on Adwords
Why do you want to learn Adwords? When you can Steal Adword Keywords
www.PPCWebSpy.com
*
Increase Internet Sales
Optimize your Content based AdWords campaigns for maximum Sales
www.ScienceOps.com

Click on the > symbol to see more rubbish.

@ProZ management:
Please stop all irrelevant Google Ads that harms both the image of professional translators/interpreters AND the image of the ProZ.com portal!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You are right, Aniello Feb 6, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
@ProZ management:
Please stop all irrelevant Google Ads that harms both the image of professional translators/interpreters AND the image of the ProZ.com portal!


You are right - this practice needs to be stopped urgently, which is why I've just sent a support ticket to staff in order to alert them to this thread.

Steffen


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I don't see all those ads Feb 6, 2009

even if logging out - maybe because I use Adblock Plus (with Firefox)?

I think also that very rarely direct clients happen to look at this site (in more than 7 years I got only one request from an end customer through ProZ), but anyway, I find that it is quite unbearable for any visitor of a professional site like this one is supposed to be that similar advertisements show up.

Thank you once again, Aniello, for bringing up similar issues!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:51
SITE FOUNDER
We will look into this and report back Feb 6, 2009

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. The issues raised here and legitimate. Drew and I will discuss, make changes, and report back over the next several weeks.

Henry


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:51
Swedish to English
+ ...
You're both partially right Feb 6, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Csaba Ban wrote:

It's up to Google to decide what ad goes where, based on the text that's available on the web page.


Do you really think so? I cannot believe it.
It's up to the website owner to decide what goes where.



I've just opened an AdSense account as my son (a minor) wants to add this to his site - www.icyfrog.com (hopefully I'm not going to get censured for being a proud mum wanting to showcase her son's fantastic comics - nothing to do with translation, my bilingual son hates studying languages - if anyone has a good idea about a bribe I can use to get him to continue Spanish to GCSE, please email me).

After some initial research this is my understanding: When you first add AdSense to a site you risk getting some seriously inappropriate ads (Google's bots are just that, bots). Whenever you notice this you can log into your account and block the relevant site. Not something I've got the time to do on a daily basis so I'm still in "deciding mode".

Question is - when proz decided to add this feature, did they allocate a member of staff to supervise ads?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:51
French to English
+ ...
Opinions/clarifications about Google Ads Feb 6, 2009

A few comments from the point of view of somebody who uses the ProZ site and also runs a few sites funded by Google Ads.

Firstly, in case you hadn't noticed, the entire Internet is covered in ads. If you get too ashamed about referring somebody to a site with ads on it, you'll never refer anybody anywhere. Ads are a mixed blessing, but in many cases sites with ads on are also sites with quality content, because the revenue actually allows that content to be developed. In cases where I've added (Google) adverts to sites, I've often actually seen an *increase* in the number of people using the site, possibly because of a perception that a funded site is "more professional".

Some other things to note about the Google scheme:
- advertisers using Google ads sign a contract saying they won't advertise offensive material
- publishers using Google ads agree that the site will meet certain quality requirements
- clearly these rules can be and are broken, but in principle Google don't want a reputation of catalysing spam sites and will probably actively enforce these rules
- if you see on a publisher's site a Google ad that appears to violate the rules, you can always report the ad to Google (rather than moaning to the publisher, who actually has little control over the ads)
- that said, publishers do have some *limited* control over what ads appear on a site, but it is limited:
(a) they can block adverts from certain domains/subdomains for ads that just come from the "general pool" of domains chosen by Google, however they can't A PRIORI get a list of the domains for which Google *might* put ads on their site, so usually it's a case of eliminating offensive/inappropriate ads "after the event"
(b) they can block specific ads or ads from certain publishers IF AND ONLY IF those advertisers have specifically chosen to advertise on that site (so-called "targetted ad placements")
- in general, Google has an automated algorithm for deciding which ads go where on which page, essentially based on keywords within that page
- however, publishers can hint to Google's algorithm that certain sections of the page are to be prioritised/ignoredwhen pulling out keywords to base the adverts on
- occasionally, Google's algorithm appears to pick adverts that are completely irrelevant to a given page, but just happen to perform well in most cases (e.g. you'll see adverts about "how to get a flat stomach in X days" because lots of people are apparently preoccupied with getting a flat stomach, whatever site they're on)

Of course, if you're worried about ads on things like your profile page then you know, you can always just build your own web page (or contract a web designer to do so) and put on it exactly what you want...!!

[Edited at 2009-02-06 22:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-06 22:29 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com system performance issue Feb 7, 2009

Hopefully, it is not the Google Ads causing the ProZ.com system performance issue since this morning. Prior to loading any page, which takes about 2-5 minutes, it says "Connecting to ads.proz.com" in the connection line of the browser.

Colleages in other countries are experiencing the same trouble:
http://www.proz.com/topic/127022?pg=e


[Edited at 2009-02-07 13:05 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jason Grimes
Local time: 06:51
SITE STAFF
Site should be faster now Feb 7, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
Hopefully, it is not the Google Ads causing the ProZ.com system performance issue since this morning. Prior to loading any page, which takes about 2-5 minutes, it says "Connecting to ads.proz.com" in the connection line of the browser.


Hi Aniello,

The site should be faster now. There was a systems issue that had nothing to do with Google Ads. Thanks for reporting the problem.

Best regards,

Jason


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please stop this practice! Feb 19, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. The issues raised here and legitimate. Drew and I will discuss, make changes, and report back over the next several weeks.

Henry


Hi Henry,

on the one hand, you say that the issues raised here are legitimate, on the other hand the irrelevant Google ads are still there. I have the impression that you are playing on time.

Loading this page http://www.proz.com/kudoz/italian_to_german/poetry_literature/3094795-cani_di_bancata.html in the Italian-German pair I just "discovered" a number of ads:

Artgerechtes Hundefutter
Große Auswahl an Frischfleisch für Ihren Hund. Jetzt online bestellen!
www.tackenberg.de/rohfutter
*
Jetzt Schiffe versenken
Spiele online den 2. Weltkrieg nach Kostenlos bei NavyField anmelden
navyfield.gamigo.de
*
Tierliebe Singles
Lernen Sie tierliebe, seriöse Singles kennen. Jetzt gratis testen
www.ElitePartner.de/Singlesuche
*
Kostenlose Hunde
Tiermarkt und Kleinanzeigen Jetzt inserieren oder kaufen!
www.quoka.de
*
Haftpflichtversicherung Hunde
Vergleichen Sie bis zu 120 Tarife. Hund Versichern für nur 35€!
Hundehaftpflicht.Angebote.Excite.de

These ads have absolutely nothing to do with our profession.

If this practice is not stopped soon, I will certainly not pay 120 Euros again for the renewal of my membership next year.

Thanks, Aniello


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Ads and ProZ image?

Advanced search







LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search