Thread poster: Ie Ling Arnett

Ie Ling Arnett  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2009

Hello all,

Could you please give me some inputs on this issue?

Here is the detail:

I have been offered a new kind of ongoing project, that is being a language tester over the phone. Each session lasts for about 10-15 minutes. My job will be asking the candidate to interpret several sentences. There will be 2 options: the company will provide the sentences or I will have to provide them.

Each session may consists of 2 things:
1. Asking the candidate to interprete both ways, let's say : from my native language (Indonesian) into English a and vice versa
2. Just one way.
3. The last step: I'll have to decide whether the candidates will pass or fail. So it will depend entirely on my judgment. I think it's similar to QA projects, only it's done orally.

I really have no clue about how much I should charge, and the first project will be starting TODAY. So it's kinda immediate. Please.. any suggestions would be really appreciated.
I have been thinking.. $30-35 per project?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ling

Direct link Reply with quote

Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:59
French to English
Depends on your rate Mar 19, 2009

Hi

It sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult to calculate how long each project is going to take (including preparation and time spent communicating the result), so I'd work that out and then charge it according to your normal hourly rate.

Good luck with the project, it sounds quite fun!

Ie Ling Arnett  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 20, 2009

Thank you, Caroline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for doing language testing over the phone

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search