Didn't Get paid after work
Thread poster: Florence Lee
Florence Lee
Florence Lee
Local time: 12:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2009

I worked for an outsourcer for 4-5 pieces of work, and after I told them that I needed to get paid before accepting new projects, they didn't contact me any more. I don't know what to do. I got to know the outsourcer through Proz.com. I wonder if Proz.com has any control of the outsourcers registered with them. Is there any way I could have my remuneration settled?
HELP!!!

Florence Lee
from Hong Kong

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:20
English to German
+ ...
Check their Blue Board record, and post an entry yourself Mar 23, 2009

Hi Florence,
You may want to check their Blue Board record (assuming they have one - if not, you can create one). This is something you should do before accepting work from an unknown customer, but that won't help you now, of course.

Assuming there is a BB record, do post an entry yourself - ProZ.com has no direct involvement with bilateral business relationships, but may
... See more
Hi Florence,
You may want to check their Blue Board record (assuming they have one - if not, you can create one). This is something you should do before accepting work from an unknown customer, but that won't help you now, of course.

Assuming there is a BB record, do post an entry yourself - ProZ.com has no direct involvement with bilateral business relationships, but may suspend the outsourcer from posting jobs (this requires a minimum of two non-payment reports).

Good luck, and best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:20
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please post to the Blue Board Mar 23, 2009

Please post your experience as an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) in the relevant Blue Board record. When posting, make sure to submit a non-payment complaint so the Site has it on record.

If there is no existing Blue Board record, please create one. Here is the link for searching for Blue Board records: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/

And, if you need to create a Blue Board reco
... See more
Please post your experience as an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) in the relevant Blue Board record. When posting, make sure to submit a non-payment complaint so the Site has it on record.

If there is no existing Blue Board record, please create one. Here is the link for searching for Blue Board records: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/

And, if you need to create a Blue Board record, here is that link: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=add

You should also familiarize yourself with ProZ.com's Termination policy: http://www.proz.com/termination_policy
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you chased them? Mar 23, 2009

Florence Lee wrote:
after I told them that I needed to get paid before accepting new projects, they didn't contact me any more.

There's nothing ProZ can do, over and above what others have advised (namely the Blue Board). But have you done everything you can to get payment? You say they aren't contacting you - have you sent a registered letter to their HO demanding payment within n days, failing which you'll take legal advice? Have you tried telephoning them? Or are you just waiting for them to contact you?

If they really are trying to rob you of your payment, they may ignore you, in which case you must decide whether it's worth carrying through the threat of legal action. On the other hand, it could simply be a case or crossed wires, or a member of staff who's ill or has left the company.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Paperwork Mar 23, 2009

Apologies if this sounds utterly dumb, but did you send them your invoice? They can't pay you without one.It might be worth sending it again by registered mail to be sure they get it.

Good luck!

Florence Lee
Florence Lee
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Mar 24, 2009

Dear ALL,

Thank you for your advice.
Indeed I did send them the invoices by email and they confirmed the receipt.
I just tried to call the mobile which the contact person gave me and it's an invalid number. I suspected that all contact info that they gave me was false.
Anyway, I think for 99% I cannot get my payment.
I was so careless that I only went to check the blueboard after completing the 3rd pieces of work, and then I knew that 2 freelancers had alread
... See more
Dear ALL,

Thank you for your advice.
Indeed I did send them the invoices by email and they confirmed the receipt.
I just tried to call the mobile which the contact person gave me and it's an invalid number. I suspected that all contact info that they gave me was false.
Anyway, I think for 99% I cannot get my payment.
I was so careless that I only went to check the blueboard after completing the 3rd pieces of work, and then I knew that 2 freelancers had already spoken ill of their company. I did send email directly to them after that, but they told me that the guys who left those bad comments on the blue board are those who produced poor-quality work, so I worked on my last piece of work. BUT ...... poor me!!!
Right now, I've got an idea: the company will not ask for my translation out of nothing. They must have an end client. So I am thinking to post part of my works done for them in various forum in the PRC and see if anyone could help me get contact with the end client, then I can warn the end client that the translation they are using is actually stolen works!!!
Anyway, thank you once again for your kind advice. Hope that I can find a good outsourcer next time.

With love,
Florence
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the nationality of the outsourcer? Mar 24, 2009

I am just wondering.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
So am I... Mar 24, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I am just wondering.

Florence Lee
Florence Lee
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a company from PRC Mar 25, 2009

It's a company from PRC.
If you want to know the name, please send me email at [email protected]

GeoGenesis
GeoGenesis
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
Here's a check list! Mar 31, 2009

Here is a check list before you decide to accept a job, it was from one of the old thread.

http://www.nortranslate.com/index.php?pid=21

[Edited at 2009-03-31 10:12 GMT]

patrasche (X)
patrasche (X)
Jamaica
German to Japanese
+ ...
same problem.... Apr 3, 2009

I have same problem now.
He, or the agency? had already not-paying problem once, and this time again.
once he received the files he ignored all of my mails, invoices etc..
he is a proz.com member but....
I don't know what can I do......

[Edited at 2009-04-03 05:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-03 06:16 GMT]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
French to English
Bad payers often claim poor quality of work Apr 3, 2009

Florence Lee wrote:

told me that the guys who left those bad comments on the blue board are those who produced poor-quality work

That doesn't surprize me that they made that claim, as many do that to try to justify non-payment.

Sorry that you went through this, and even more sorry that there may not be much you can do to actually get your money, but yes please do at least post on the Blue Board about this. And in the future you'll know to check the Blue Board first and not to listen to claims of supposed poor quality of work. (The only way I'd believe that is if there are also an overwhelming number of 4's and 5's along with 1's or 2's, btw.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Didn't Get paid after work

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »