SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:02
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 26, 2009

Hello,

I have been contacted by a new client who only pays by "BACS". I had never heard about this system before so I have these questions:

-Can anyone explain how BACS works and if it is a safe payment method?
-Is it a system like Paypal or Money bookers?
-Does it charge any rates to receive money?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Sandra

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:02
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
This site may help. Mar 26, 2009

Hello

I do not have time to answer your specific queries, but this site is pretty comprehensive:

See more
Hello

I do not have time to answer your specific queries, but this site is pretty comprehensive:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:f0CD-ZwgUnEJ:www.bankofscotland.co.uk/corporate/day-to-day-banking/payment-processing/bacs/index.html%20BACS%20BAnk&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&lr=lang_en

Saludos!

Liz Askew
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 03:02
Have a look at this Mar 26, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BACS

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask Mar 26, 2009

Hi Sandra,

I`ve no idea, not a clue.

Never heard of it. Be straightforward. Why don`t you ask the client?

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No idea Mar 26, 2009

but you can have a look there : http://www.electronic-payments.co.uk/bacs.jsp

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Link Mar 26, 2009

Hi Sandra,

Here is the link to the Web site of this company: http://www.bacs.co.uk/bacs/corporate/
Apparently it is a bank wiring system created by several European (mostly UK)-based banks.
Cheers,
Annelise

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disregard it. Mar 26, 2009

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

Well, according to this information, it doesn`t look like a reliable or efficient system you can trust.

I wouldn`t take it.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
??? Mar 26, 2009

Walter Landesman wrote:

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

Well, according to this information, it doesn`t look like a reliable or efficient system you can trust.

I wouldn`t take it.

It's totally standard in the UK. Nothing to fear. The agency is probably just using 'BACS' to mean 'bank transfer'. Charges to send/receive money will depend on their bank and yours (and you should negotiate in advance as to who is responsible for charges).

Edit: on reading the Wikipedia article, no it doesn't sound particularly appealing, but if you deal with UK banks you have little choice. I would emphasis that it is a perfectly legitimate and commonplace way of transferring money.

[Edited at 2009-03-26 17:20 GMT]

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
UK bank transfer Mar 26, 2009

BACS is a system used in the UK for bank transfers, it's perfectly safe and reliable I think, the only problem is that it's a bit slow. It's not at all like paypal or moneybookers, more like SWIFT for international transfers, but within the UK - which might be the problem, I'm not sure it applies to other countries - ask the client.
I had my salary paid by Bacs for years in the UK, and have used it for other purposes there.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It depends how important speed is Mar 26, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:

I would emphasis that it is a perfectly legitimate and commonplace way of transferring money.

I second Angela's comment - it's as safe as other reputable methods (are any of them totally safe?), and it's widely-used in the UK.

I suspect it isn't the best in terms of speed of payment, when compared with some on-line transfers that show up in the receiving bank within seconds of being kicked off, but if you're being paid 30 days after the job then it's hardly worth worrying about, is it?

Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez
Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
International bank transfer Mar 26, 2009

Hi Sandra,

Paying by BACS means paying by international bank transfer. That's the method most of my UK customers use to pay me and it has been reliable so far. To be paid by BACS, you have to ask your Mexican bank their data for international transfers/payment orders. This data is usually the SWIFT code of the bank, a bank number and your account number. For HSBC Mexico, for example, the SWIFT code is BIMEMXMM and the bank number 021. It takes anywhere between 3 days to a week to re
... See more
Hi Sandra,

Paying by BACS means paying by international bank transfer. That's the method most of my UK customers use to pay me and it has been reliable so far. To be paid by BACS, you have to ask your Mexican bank their data for international transfers/payment orders. This data is usually the SWIFT code of the bank, a bank number and your account number. For HSBC Mexico, for example, the SWIFT code is BIMEMXMM and the bank number 021. It takes anywhere between 3 days to a week to receive the money once they initiate payment. As for the fees, my bank charges around $100 Mexican pesos per transfer, irrespective of the amount.

Hope it helps.

[Edited at 2009-03-26 20:23 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Wood
Sarah Wood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I agree - totally standard in the UK - if a bank transfer is what they mean. Mar 26, 2009

Hey there I can second all the others who have said that electronic transfers between banks in the UK are referred to as a BACS. This is is how wages and bills etc are paid.

Best make sure that this is what the client is referring to though.

xx

SandraV
SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your help! Mar 27, 2009

Thank you very much to everyone, your comments were really helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "BACS"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »