Cost of mobile link to the web
Thread poster: Gennady Lapardin

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:25
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2009

At the end of this March MTS, one of the three biggest Russian mobile communication providers, has raised GPRS basic traffic unit from 10 to 100 kbyte (on the cheapest plan which I am using for years). Now the cost of only being connected to GPRS (empty packets exchange traffic) will be around 20 EUR per month, and just checking/updating the list of incoming mail at least twice a day may put you to almost 100 EUR of total monthly expense, instead of 6-10 EUR earlier this year. How the things are going elsewhere?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
MTC, UA Apr 3, 2009

UAH 5.00 (USD .6) for 24 hours (charged when connection initiated) plus UAH .05 cop. (USD .006) for each MB of total traffic. The average speed is about that of "good old" dial-up connection (see prices here).

Как грицца, фор хум хау.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The same as with wire connection Apr 3, 2009

5 Mbits 35 Euro per month flatrate seems to be the average here in Finland for mobile broadband. I have a 6 Mbits landline connection and pay 36 Euro.
Of course mobile broadband is only theoretically as fast as the nominal speed.

Things change dramatically when you go abroad and let your kids play with the computer. A 2 Gb movie will cost a Finnish customer 3000 Euro in Estonia, 9000 Euro in Spain and 28000 Euro in Thailand. Roaming rates are expected to drop within the EU to a tenth, but that does not affect non-EU-countries, sorry.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-04-03 16:05 GMT]

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
MTS Belarus Apr 3, 2009

offers a number of tariffs. For example, 500 Mb of monthly traffic @ BYR 37500 (plus taxes), ≈ EUR 10. Life: ) offers it even cheaper: same traffic @ BYR 30000 (plus taxes).

[Edited at 2009-04-03 07:58 GMT]

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:25
French to English
+ ...
T-mobile UK Apr 3, 2009

I have a basic mobile phone contract and a Nokia E61 (3G). £7.50/month as an additional cost (meaning I pay a total of about £18/month) gets me as many calls and texts as I need, plus unlimited data transfer via my mobile (on the device or via a data cable to my laptop). Only as long as I stay in the UK, though - if I go as far away as France, the data charges are horrible and I'm better off paying for wireless.

Speed if I am in a 3G area (which is most of the time) is about 200-300 KB/sec. Not bad at all.

[Edited at 2009-04-03 13:31 GMT]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Italy Apr 3, 2009

I have two mobile modems, both with vodafone and intended for use with your normal computer (although I suppose there's no reason why you couldn't use them with a mobile phone). One is a "pay as you go" scheme I got a couple of years ago. Costs are extortionate: 1 Euro connection charge + (can't remember) cents an hour, plus it boots you out every now and then so you have to re-connect, costing you another Euro. I had to use it yesterday when my landline connection went down and my partner had gone to work with the other mobile connection, and it ate about 9 euros in 5 hours.

The other one is on a business contract and is much more reasonable. They do various packages. 60 hours a month is 15 euros, 200 hours costs 35 Euros and unlimited is I think 60 euros a month.

The speed varies, depending on where we are. In Rome there's UMTS and it's as fast as my land line, but at our house in the country it's only 2G and is about the same as an old 56k dial-up line.

Neither of these have any limit on traffic: the fee is strictly time-related.

[Edited at 2009-04-03 12:41 GMT]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:25
English to German
+ ...
Vodafone Germany/Europe Apr 3, 2009

Hi all,
I've been using Vodafone for years; right now, a flat-rate subscription (which, in reality, means 5GB per month, after which bandwidth may be slowed down) costs around EUR 40 per month. This refers to use within Germany; a 150MB/month package covering most of Europe adds another EUR 80 (approx.).

Most urban areas are covered by 3G/UMTS, with bandwidths up to 7Mbit/sec.

At the recent CeBIT trade fair, Vodafone had a demo installation of LTE (Long-Term Evolution), the new standard scheduled for rollout in 2010/2011: technically, bandwiths of up to 100 MBit/sec are possible, with average bandwidth expected around 15-16 MBit/sec.

Best, Ralf

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 3, 2009

Thank you Sergei, Heinrich, Esperantisto, Angela, Marie-Hélène and Ralf for your inputs. So far we have (in your climate) approx. 60-80 EUR as a monthly rate, in the roaming.

Let the customer (a freelancer) be always on top in the mobile equation, which says: customer traffic+service traffic=flat rate (aka Vodafon's 5GB or similar), and let him/her (me, in particular) be kept undamaged from the tricks involving changes of basic unit size.

Thanks again,

Gennady

[Edited at 2009-04-03 21:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cost of mobile link to the web

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search