What to charge if the source is delivered on paper (not digital) with images and tables etc
Thread poster: Ines Neuparth

Ines Neuparth
Portugal
Local time: 20:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 18, 2009

I would like to know how do freelancers charge for jobs delivered in paper copies, that we have to scan and edit in the images, texts, tables etc.

It takes longer to do this "puzzle" work than to translate.
Thank you!
Ines

Direct link Reply with quote

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
depends on your maximum plausible position Apr 18, 2009

Dear injs.
Has your Client explicitly informed you about this IN ADVANCE?
If 'yes' then you should have already be ready for action and charge double or so.
If 'no' then I do believe that both of you have something to negotiate... threefold

Consider your benefits (if any) and ask for more. Really.
Anyway you can also do a manual translation - commit it to paper.

Cheers

[Редактировалось 2009-04-19 06:26 GMT]

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
You are right Apr 18, 2009

Unless you are desperate, apply a vicious surcharge (anything from 50% upwards).

You are a professional translator and this is 2009.

Alternatively, their option is to pay a copy typist to type it out into a format that can be processed by a professional translator.

If my car goes funny, do I ask a carpenter to fix it?

The more we say "Wait a minute!" to people, the quicker they will understand.

HTH and good luck.
Chris

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:54
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Charge by the hour, or break up the job Apr 19, 2009

If you have to do the whole thing, then only charging by the hour makes sense, or breaking the job into two parts:
1. translation (can be charged based on the number of words)
2. scanning, layout editing, etc. (by the hour)

But as the others said, this is really DTP work, and not what translators are expected to do in normal cases, and definitely not as part of the translation work.
In a few cases when I had a client requesting such extras, I gave them two estimates: one for the whole work, and another which would apply if they found the original editable file, where I just had to type in the translation. Guess what, the original editable file was magically found within hours!!!

If you talk to them, and they don't have the file, see if they are willing to do the DTP themselves, or outsource it to someone. If yes, than what you can do is manually mark up the paper copy - that is, put numbers next to each section on the paper (blocks of text, figure titles), and simply type your translation into Word with the same numbers. You send back the Word file and the marked original paper. That way a 3rd person would know where to put each part of the translation during the layout work. You can certainly offer a final review of the finished product (charged by the hour), just to make sure the DTP person or the DTP software did not mess up something.

Katalin

[Edited at 2009-04-19 01:46 GMT]

Ines Neuparth
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! This is a great help. In Portugal there are still many of these cases. Apr 19, 2009

Textklick wrote:

Unless you are desperate, apply a vicious surcharge (anything from 50% upwards).

You are a professional translator and this is 2009.

Alternatively, their option is to pay a copy typist to type it out into a format that can be processed by a professional translator.

If my car goes funny, do I ask a carpenter to fix it?

The more we say "Wait a minute!" to people, the quicker they will understand.

HTH and good luck.
Chris

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Deleted Apr 19, 2009

[Edited at 2009-04-19 11:20 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This is not translation Apr 19, 2009

injs wrote:
It takes longer to do this "puzzle" work than to translate.

Definitely!

As an old-timer in translation, the job was originally done with different tools; usually a Parker 51 (a fountain pen) or a Smith-Corona (a typewriter), and paper dictionaries.

So if they want *translation*, you´ll deliver plain, unformatted text. All other embellishments offered nowadays by translators are a market trend derived from some resources available from word processors.

If they want a complete translated publication from hardcopy, that´s translation + DTP (Desktop Publishing). In your case it is required during the INput phase, though it´s often the case in the OUTput phase, unless MS Word can handle the graphic requirements.

So, check the DTP rates in your area. If there is anything you can´t do, e.g. scanning, ORC, DTP, outsource it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to charge if the source is delivered on paper (not digital) with images and tables etc

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search