Pricing an Excel spreadsheet with accounting information - help needed
Thread poster: patka

patka
Local time: 08:11
English to Czech
+ ...
Apr 27, 2009

Greetings, I need some help with pricing an Excel spreadsheet with accounting information. The first few columns had just dates and numbers and I did not have to do anything with them, they were already in the correct (target language) format. The rest of the columns had descriptions that needed to be translated, but as many of these were repetitions, I just did a Replace function and 'translated' a number of cells at once. Since this is the first time that I am translating an accounting document in an Excel format (I am familiar with accounting, and Excel, I just need help with pricing of this type of document), I am wondering on how to count the words. I am planning to skip all the dates and numbers and just count the cells with descriptions. But even with these, do I count each occurrence of a term although I translated them using the Replace function in Excel? It seems logical to do that, otherwise I would have to spend a lot of time pricing the document, but it ends up being a lot of words for the relatively short time I spent to translate the doc. I would like to know how others approach pricing this type of document.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-27 14:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge for every word Apr 27, 2009

In general, I would charge for every word there is in the document, including numbers and everything, I believe that if the client doesn't want to pay for something, they should remove it from the document. You also have to pay attention to repetitions so same goes for these ones. I would charge for everything.

But then again, it always depends on the actual client and job.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:11
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hourly Apr 27, 2009

I would charge an hourly rate; easier to calculate and more fair to the client.

If the client specifically wants you to charge a per word rate, I agree that you could exclude the dates and numbers from the word count. Are you sure there are no changes required? In amounts of money, for example, you usually have to convert commas to periods and vice-versa between Europe and the US. This can be fairly time-consuming and another reason to consider charging an hourly rate or in that case you could include those columns in the word count.

[Edited at 2009-04-27 19:05 GMT]

patka
Local time: 08:11
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 1, 2009

Thank you both for the suggestions. I ended up counting the words, but I agree it is a good idea to charge an hourly rate, especially if a spreadsheet has a lot of data. Again, thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing an Excel spreadsheet with accounting information - help needed

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search