Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
May 9, 2009

Surely a mistake or have we just seen a new record low? I can see the quote option counter is at 13.....most of those are probably querying the amount, I hope. And it's from someone with no record either.
What do you think?
Suzi

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:49
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Probably a mistake May 9, 2009

Most possibly it is a mistake. It must be 5,000 words, i.e. 0,07 USD per word.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Just a new record low - job now closed-15 bids May 9, 2009

Of course we are informed that it's a very easy text and will be interesting to read as we translate it, so I suppose we should consider it a wonder that we don't have to pay this person for the privilege of doing the job.
The actual rate is $0.007 or €0.005 a word.
Oh yes, don't forget the page of text you have to translate as test in order to show how good you are...........
What will be the next record low? The mind boggles....
Quo vadis, Proz?

... See more
Of course we are informed that it's a very easy text and will be interesting to read as we translate it, so I suppose we should consider it a wonder that we don't have to pay this person for the privilege of doing the job.
The actual rate is $0.007 or €0.005 a word.
Oh yes, don't forget the page of text you have to translate as test in order to show how good you are...........
What will be the next record low? The mind boggles....
Quo vadis, Proz?

ps. 50,000 words was mentioned twice, in the explanation and again at the bottom in the job details part. As they clearly stated:
"We have about 50,000 words general history text to be translated from French to English. This entire work has to be completed by 25th May latest. We can pay maximum USD 350 for this job."

[Edited at 2009-05-10 01:01 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Report them May 9, 2009

So, use the "report" button to report the job listing.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Lower still May 9, 2009

I noticed that the last job they posted was US0.02/word so times must be even harder. And a free page of text! We should try quoting and see if they send the same page out......now, wouldn't that be interesting?

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am surprised... May 9, 2009

I am surprised they did not ask also a few sexual services included for that price.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Must be a mistake... May 9, 2009

...they surely meant 50,000 words for 10,000 US$?

whither has fle
whither has fle
France
French to English
my eyes boggled! May 9, 2009

Hello everybody,

I was very pleased to see I was not the only person who was astonished. I actually did the calculation..see if I was dreaming...and decided it was just a mistake. But on second reading, the job posting is Very clear. Where, indeed, are we going?

I really do enjoy the communication aspect of Proz.

Have a great week end.
Joan.

Saeid Hasani
Saeid Hasani  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:49
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
It's a woderful world! May 10, 2009

Now, this is what I am facing now in both my country and global level.

I sometimes encounter prices and some quality of translation that I feel ashamed to call myself a professional or official/sworn translator.

it is not even impossible for some people to offer ... services from as a marketing strategy, as RNA says. ( am NOT addressing any specific person or the quote you mentioned, generally speaking, No offense).

I sometimes feel ashamed to have chosen t
... See more
Now, this is what I am facing now in both my country and global level.

I sometimes encounter prices and some quality of translation that I feel ashamed to call myself a professional or official/sworn translator.

it is not even impossible for some people to offer ... services from as a marketing strategy, as RNA says. ( am NOT addressing any specific person or the quote you mentioned, generally speaking, No offense).

I sometimes feel ashamed to have chosen this as my life-long career, as I have seen many of these instances recently.

It is becoming a nightmare for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No reason to be ashamed May 10, 2009

Hi Saeid,
It's a wonderful world!

Indeed it is.

I sometimes feel ashamed to have chosen this as my life-long career, as I have seen many of these instances recently.

It is becoming a nightmare for me!

No reason for nightmares. Let me give you my view: I chose translating as a second career. When I switched from banking, quite a few people questioned the wisdom of that move (they no longer do, BTW). I run a small yet successful business, am respected by my clients and business partners, and I thoroughly enjoy what I do.

It has often been mentioned here, but obviously it needs to be reiterated: this market has many levels, slices, and segments. Finding your segment is crucial to being successful. This is not about about East vs. West, industrial vs. developing countries, or anything like that: it's about sound business sense.

Cheers,
Ralf

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
*This* market vs. *many* markets May 10, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

It has often been mentioned here, but obviously it needs to be reiterated: this market has many levels, slices, and segments. Finding your segment is crucial to being successful.

I unconditionally share your business mindset, Ralf, and I would like to add that there is no such thing as "this" market. In fact, there are *many* translation markets with a great deal of levels, slices and segments. In the long run, specialization is key to sustainable success.

Nevertheless, let's leave some slices to others. Everybody wants to eat.

It's a pity that many people complain about "low" rates. From time to time, I would like to see some posts from people achieving "high" rates The image of the translation industry would benefit from that.

maja.freelan (X)
maja.freelan (X)
German to Macedonian
+ ...
don't accept it May 10, 2009

Considering the global crises that's not something uncommon to see nowadays.
People are losing their jobs constantly, they are not being paid properly, or even get some very low translation rates.

Unfortunately we are currently leaving in a crises and have to face the facts that these things might occur or directly affect us.
Looking on the bright sight, we can always say NO, and don't accept to do that translation:)

What bothers me, is that some people ar
... See more
People are losing their jobs constantly, they are not being paid properly, or even get some very low translation rates.

Unfortunately we are currently leaving in a crises and have to face the facts that these things might occur or directly affect us.
Looking on the bright sight, we can always say NO, and don't accept to do that translation:)

What bothers me, is that some people are using the current crises for almost everything as an explanation to not pay you properly...

Regards,
Maja
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Due to the explanation, it clearly is not a mistake May 10, 2009

However, ProZ.com policy ( to which I, in my past position as a jobs moderator never have agreed) is that Proz.com doesn't set ANY price limits.

So we have to use our common sense - and I hope most of us have it.

BR,
Uldis

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Most possibly it is a mistake. It must be 5,000 words, i.e. 0,07 USD per word.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:49
English to French
+ ...
And... May 11, 2009

Maja Josifovska wrote:

While many people in many industries are losing their jobs, there are more and more people "translating". Perhaps some agencies are taking advantage of the fact that there are loads of people who now have free time to "translate" since losing their auto industry jobs. They are most likely also taking advantage of the fact that if this new breed of translators isn't willing to accept such ridiculous rates, they will not earn any money. So, right now, the crisis is a global one centered around finance, but I think that soon, it will be a myriad of smaller crises in a myriad of industries. Judging form the quality of the translations I have been reviewing lately, it has already begun. And it ain't about to stop...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

50,000 words for USD 350

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »