Thread poster: Leticia Klemetz, CT

Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:33
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
May 11, 2009

Hello colleagues,

Most of the time I work with agencies, so I am forced to accept their payment practices (30 days, at times 60 or even 90 days in Spain).

Now I am going to invoice a private client (ie, not an agency) from the US, and I wonder if I should put a due date on the invoice (I'd rather do) and in that case, which.
Is it customary to indicate 30 days?
Would it be considered rude to request a shorter payment, such as 10-15 days?
And is there a set wording to use, such as "to be paid within X days of invoice date" or "please pay..." or...?

I really appreciate your feedback on this!

Greetings from Spain.

The Misha
Local time: 23:33
Russian to English
+ ...
There is no set phrases, and nothing is customary May 11, 2009

It's what you want it to be or what you agreed with the client it would be. As easy as that.

Saoussane  Identity Verified
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
Your terms this time May 11, 2009

Hi,
I live and work in the US and most of my clients are US agencies and private individuals and I always request payment 2 weeks after delivery unless the agencies payment policies specify otherwise. I know that it is more customary to wait for 3 to 4 weeks but if the client agrees to your terms, then have it your way. You are the service provider after all!
Cheers,

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
You run your business May 11, 2009

That means you get to set the rules. That said, it's easier if you set the rules in advance (i.e., before taking the work). If they send you something saying something like "our payment policies are 30 days", you can always send them back something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I'll keep it in mind for the next invoice."

For what it's worth, both direct clients and agencies have paid me within 2 days of submission of my invoice and some of both sorts have waited up to 90 days.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing end client in USA - due date?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search