reputable e-mail extensions
Thread poster: foghorn

foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
May 11, 2009

Would you accept jobs offered by non-members/casual users if they have a reputable e-mail extension such as eu. How many workdays do you think is reasonable for an acknowledging reply after you deliver? Would you report abuse to the relating website of the same extension? Or when would you publicly report this kind of experience?

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:53
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reputable email extension? What does that mean May 11, 2009

Sorry, but you seem to have a misconception about domains, anyone can buy a eu domain or get an email address with eu in it, you just have to contact an email provider. An email or domain extension never guarantees reputability.

You could look at the webiste of that extension, but depending on the website they may not be able to (or not want to) do anything, check out their abuse policy (if the have one).

I think 2/3 working days is long enough for someone to answer an email, specially if it relates to payments. If you have had a bad experience with someone try and solve it amicably and if not, if the aoumnt warrants it use a collection service.

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Reputable? May 11, 2009

Hi foghorn,

foghorn wrote:

Would you accept jobs offered by non-members/casual users if they have a reputable e-mail extension such as eu.

I am not quite sure what makes you believe that a top-level domain such as .eu is "reputable". I use one myself for my business, but any EU citizen can own one too – for as little as some EUR 7.00 a year. Registration takes a few minutes and there is no real verification of identity.

I wouldn't judge a client by the top-level domain they use very much. Checking their Blueboard record (and they don't need to be members to get Blueboard entries) or even checking their Web site itself are some of the more reliable ways, in my opinion.

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-05-11 13:50 GMT]

foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My god… May 11, 2009

My god… i’ve just realized that after posting it.
i hope i’m the only one naïve enough to think that way.

Thank you.

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
eu May 11, 2009

You're not naive. A domain with an "eu" extension in an outsourcer's e-mail address is more impressive than a yahoo.com or a hotmail.com domain. IMO it just looks more professional. If it didn't, why would people want to use it instead of other more common domain extensions?
However, since we know that this is all it is -i.e. impressive, it looks better- and not really more reputable, it would be safer to do some research on the outsourcer before accepting a job, e.g. by looking at his BB record, if any.

As to your other question, I think 2 business days are more than enough.

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
.eu vs. yahoo.com May 11, 2009

Maria Karra wrote:

You're not naive. A domain with an "eu" extension in an outsourcer's e-mail address is more impressive than a yahoo.com or a hotmail.com domain. IMO it just looks more professional.

Maria,

Now you are talking about a domain name (such as yahoo.com), while foghorn originally asked about the top-level domain (such as .eu or .com). I would never doubt that an E-mail address hosted on your own domain makes you as a freelancer look more professional than an address with a public, free, and worldwide provider.

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-05-11 13:49 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TLDs are not a reliable indicator May 11, 2009

foghorn wrote:
Would you accept jobs offered by non-members/casual users if they have a reputable e-mail extension such as eu.

The top level domain name is not a reliable indicator of whether a person is trustworthy. In fact, I would say that no domain name is reliable -- even hotmail.com or yahoo.com can be used by both trustworthy and untrustworthy people.

United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Right, Daniel May 11, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:
Maria,

Now you are talking about a domain name (such as yahoo.com), while foghorn originally asked about the top-level domain (such as .eu or .com). I would never doubt that an E-mail address hosted on your own domain makes you as a freelancer look more professional than an address with a public, free, and worldwide provider.

Daniel

I was trying to make a point about impressions and perceptions but you're right, I should stick to domain extensions.
To me, the address "sometranslationoffice.eu", at first glance looks more trustworthy than "someothertranslationoffice.biz". I don't know if .eu was ever reserved for EU institutions, but ten years ago those are the only places where I used to see that extension. So personally I (still!) tend to associate it with EU institutions or assume (incorrectly, of course) for a few seconds that the agency must do a lot of work for the EU, even though, as you say, any EU citizen can get this extension these days.

Cheers,
Maria

[Edited at 2009-05-11 14:10 GMT]

United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Samuel May 11, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
even hotmail.com or yahoo.com can be used by both trustworthy and untrustworthy people.

Of course.

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
.eu.int May 12, 2009

Maria Karra wrote:
I don't know if .eu was ever reserved for EU institutions, but ten years ago those are the only places where I used to see that extension.

Hi Maria,

You are probably referring to the .eu.int subdomain. This is what Wikipedia says about that one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.eu#Establishment:
.eu.int was the subdomain most used by the European Commission and the European Parliament, based on the .int generic top-level domain (gTLD) for international bodies, until 9 May 2006.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

reputable e-mail extensions

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search