receiving payment via Western Union
Thread poster: Deborah Hoffman

Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 14:35
Russian to English
+ ...
May 26, 2009

I've only used Western Union once in my life, at a corner store, and can't remember anything about it. Do they charge the sender? The receiver? Is it outrageous?

I'm in the U.S. and the sender likely in Russia.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:35
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Only once for me too. It was simple and cheap May 27, 2009

Someone in the USA made the first of several payments for a big project to me here in the UK via Western Union about 18 months ago. I think it was charged to the sender, who said it was a good deal cheaper than the other options. I had to go a WU agency, and the nearest once is only a couple of miles away. I was paid in cash, no problems.

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spasibo, Dzhek! May 27, 2009

otlichno

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
They charge enormous money May 27, 2009

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

I've only used Western Union once in my life, at a corner store, and can't remember anything about it. Do they charge the sender? The receiver? Is it outrageous?

I'm in the U.S. and the sender likely in Russia.

They charge just enormous money, but they charge the sender.

For example, if you want to send 100 USD from Russia to US you will have to pay 20 USD (!).

On bigger amounts the percentage is better, however.

http://www.bank.zerich.ru/tarif-wu.php (in Russian).

[Edited at 2009-05-27 06:48 GMT]

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 21:35
Turkish to English
+ ...
hidden charge May 27, 2009

Western Union works very well - but, beware, there is a hidden charge. They apply their own exchange rate to transfers, which is less favourable than that available elsewhere. The service is thus not as cheap as it seems.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Variable rates May 27, 2009

I once looked at WU rates and found that they were very variable. Generally, rates were high for poor countries.

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
using my native language to say thank you May 27, 2009

Dear Jack (and now others),
My attempt to thank you by jokingly using a Romanized fourm of the language from which we both translate with your name spelled as if transliterated from Cyrillic has been deleted for violating the forum rules against using only English.

So now I take the opportunity to say THANK YOU using the language of which we are both native speakers.

Good grief.

[Редактировалось 2009-05-27 13:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

receiving payment via Western Union

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search