Thread poster: katieker
katieker
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2003

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem. An agency I am working for says that according to Hungarian law they cannot accept invoices from individuals, only companies. As I don't have my own company I need to find some way to resolve this.

Is this a common problem? What would be involved in setting up a company?

Direct link Reply with quote

Agroo
Local time: 19:56
English to French
+ ...
Same question from an agency Nov 14, 2003

We recently worked with two translators based in the UK. They did a good job, but when we asked them to put their VAT nr on the invoice, they told us, they didn't have a business because they earn less than 56,000£ or were what is called a "sole trader" under UK law. Under French law (we're a French-based company) we are not allowed to pay anyone who is not registered somehow to pay social security etc.

Can we pay them without later having any problem with French taxes later?

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
English to Tamil
+ ...
Why not act beforehand Nov 14, 2003

It will be better if both the parties settle these questions of being a company and all that. The onus is on the agency to frankly tell a potential translator about such issues before giving the work. Not doing it, getting the work done and then piously talk about their helplessness to pay is - let's call a spade a spade - dishonest. There is no other word for that.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Consult your tax advisor Nov 14, 2003

I don't think it's possible to give a precise answer to these questions in a forum such as this one: even if someone was in the same situation, some details might be different.

Agreeing on payment terms beforehand is vital for all parties; I agree with Narasimhan's point to this extent, although it's often a lack of information and/or organisation rather than dishonesty that's the root of the problem.

As far as French law and UK businesses are concerned, I cannot imagine that French social security requirements would extend to UK businesses (note that a small business in the UK may not have to register for VAT, but it's nevertheless a business). You could use the tax number instead of the VAT number.

Best regards, Ralf

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
English to Tamil
+ ...
Let's give the benefit of doubt to the agency Nov 15, 2003

Your point is taken Ralf. Granted, it may just be a matter of oversight. It will be that only for the first case. The agency has somehow to effect the payment even in this first case having taken the work from the translator. How they do it is their problem, but they must pay. There can be no two opinions of it.
I am reminded of an Executive Engineer in the Central Public Works Department, who, after awarding a work to a contractor, got the work executed, declined to pay as he had already exceeded the budget for the current fiscal year. It created a lot of complications all around and the Government did pay with severe strictures against the concerned Executive Engineer.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Agroo
English to French
+ ...
clients, subjects, translations and law! Nov 18, 2003

Thanks for your inputs, be reassured it's not a question of being dishonest, because we always find a way to pay the people doing the job wherever they are, I was just asking if someone knew...
We have started to ask for some official number of the translator to be able to make an official assignment so this misunderstanding shouldn't happen again..We had it also with a Spanish translator claiming VAT nrs were not compulsory in Spain. The difficulty in this translation business is that legal affairs are already not easy if you're not a lawyer but on top of that you have to know international legal affairs too...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laws regarding invoices from individuals

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search